Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Report] Ubuntu 11.04 on HP Pavilion dv7

Beans

Re: [Report] Ubuntu 11.04 on HP Pavilion dv7

I figured out a way to reduce the core temp.

When booting up in 11.04, before you put in the password to login, there is a menu at the bottom of the screen that says what type of Ubuntu you're running. Click on that menu and select the "Ubuntu Classic" option.

The down side to that is your desktop won't be as "pretty," but it will reduce the core temp and extend the life of your comp. Also. Your Windows button won't work in the classic desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ninjajl View Post
    I figured out a way to reduce the core temp.

When booting up in 11.04, before you put in the password to login, there is a menu at the bottom of the screen that says what type of Ubuntu you're running. Click on that menu and select the "Ubuntu Classic" option.

The down side to that is your desktop won't be as "pretty," but it will reduce the core temp and extend the life of your comp. Also. Your Windows button won't work in the classic desktop.

I've already tried that before I removed Ubuntu 11.04. I did not record a meaningful difference in the core temperature, and the super key was still working (if I remember correctly). "Pretty"? I've used the Ubuntu Classic layout since Ubuntu 7.04.

Ubuntu Classic on Ubuntu 11.04 was also buggy. Frequently, Ubuntu would think that it was running Unity, so it would remove the window borders. It also thought that the bar at the top belonged to Unity, so I had some graphics issues there.

Even if the core temperature problem was resolved by Ubuntu Classic (which it can't be because it's a kernel issue), all the other problems still persist.

Beans

Hi

I have some problems with hp dv7 7177sf

*right click on clickpad doesn't work and multitouch on clickpack doesn't work too.

*hybrid graphique card change ati 5650 / intel HD doesn't work, driver for ati doesn't work correctly, when i open Ati catalyst I have en error

*I must install Ralink driver for wifi card to make it work corectly

*on windows I have 2 or 3 hours batery performance, 30 minutes on uuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mbooma View Post
    I have some problems with hp dv7 7177sf
    "7177sf" isn't a valid model variant. I don't know what HP Pavilion dv7 you're referring to.
    Nevertheless:

*right click on clickpad doesn't work and multitouch on clickpack doesn't work too.
    I just found a workaround that I think may work: http://bigbrovar.aoizora.org/index.p...-ubuntu-11-04/

*hybrid graphique card change ati 5650 / intel HD doesn't work, driver for ati doesn't work correctly, when i open Ati catalyst I have en error
    My ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series graphics card driver, installed by "Additional Drivers", works quite well.

*I must install Ralink driver for wifi card to make it work corectly
    I'm clueless here. My wireless card works out-of-the-box.

*on windows I have 2 or 3 hours batery performance, 30 minutes on uuntu
    Looking at the power consumption bug, it looks like a fix was committed (made, but waiting for release) for this bug. I hope that battery life improves after installing the fix.

Beans

sorry wrong model 4177sf ^^

any way to use graphique card like windows ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sorry wrong model 4177sf ^^

any way to use graphique card like windows ?
    The HP Pavilion dv7-4177sf comes with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics. I have the same type (I think? Unless "For Quad Core Processors" means something different?).

Did you install the restricted drivers for that graphics card on Ubuntu?

In Ubuntu Unity:

1. Dash
    2. Search for and open "Additional Drivers".
    3. Activate the "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver"
    4. Reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wrote a report for Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot on HP Pavilion dv7 laptop computers. Click here to see the updated report.
    Last edited by Deltik; November 18th, 2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Updated update link

Beans

When I follow your link <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1862284> I get the error:

vBulletin Message No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for catching that. An Ubuntu Forums moderator deemed my thread a "recurring discussion" and moved it, which invalidated the old link.

This is the new link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11353243
    Last edited by Deltik; November 18th, 2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Updated link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wrote a review for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin on computers like my HP Pavilion dv7t-4100 laptop. Click here to see the updated report.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123