Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Buying a netbook

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Buying a netbook

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    I wouldn't suggest 720p.

And yes, charge it, but don't discharge it. Contrary to popular belief, our batteries as of today don't usually require a full discharge. (And in fact, can damage the battery if you do this depending on the type.)

I've been wondering about good battery habits for a while now. Know anywhere I can find more information?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have the Acer and been a happy man since!!So...Acer for ubuntu from me!!!
    Acer Aspireone netbook with intel atom 1,6 and gb mem with a 250gb hdd.
    Toshiba Satelite laptop with 256 ram and pentium 4 1.6 / 20' Aluminum imac

http://agreeksperspective.blogspot.com/

Beans

What about Asus 1215N. It has dual GPU. Intel and Nvidia ION. And has HDMI(or DVI i cant remember) output and can do 1080p Also has 2 Atom Processors. But still in 11.04 it seems slow to me

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by medic2000 View Post
    What about Asus 1215N. It has dual GPU. Intel and Nvidia ION. And has HDMI(or DVI i cant remember) output and can do 1080p Also has 2 Atom Processors. But still in 11.04 it seems slow to me
    Outputting to HDMI at 1080p isn't the same as showing it on the native screen. Sometimes the external screen will render 1080p faster because it's not native, and requires the screen to scale, rather than the native.

@Battery thing: That really depends on the type of battery you have. See, some batteries don't require a regular discharge to the minimum 20% or so now, as battery life is no longer improved from these. Look around, do some research. I no longer discharge, because netbooks nowadays don't require it. Sometimes a lithium-ion battery will need regular discharge every year from one company, and from another, it won't need any at all.

Also note that NiMH Batteries do not suffer the memory issue that NiCd did, and do not require a discharge.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks Lucradia. The reason I ask is because somehow I managed to render a battery for an Asus laptop virtually useless (granted it's powering an i7, Radeon HD, etc.), and I just got a new EEE Pc, and wanted to make sure I do it right this time.

By the way, I'm writing now from a brand new Debian netinstall (installed from a USB thumb drive of course) on a brand new EEE PC 1015 PEM MU17. I haven't done much with it other than replace Windows 7 Starter. Wireless works out of the box, as does booting from GRUB, my main two concerns.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Outputting to HDMI at 1080p isn't the same as showing it on the native screen. Sometimes the external screen will render 1080p faster because it's not native, and requires the screen to scale, rather than the native.
    No, it also shows it natively without any problem. Very smooth.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by medic2000 View Post
    No, it also shows it natively without any problem. Very smooth.
    I have a 1015PE, and it sucks. But, I bought it because it was more energy-star compliant than the others.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by krapp View Post
    I've been wondering about good battery habits for a while now. Know anywhere I can find more information?
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Maintenance

Some is thinkpad specific, but a lot of it applies to laptop batteries in general.
    Join giffgaff, the mobile network run by you! Click here for free sim with £5 credit http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/matthewbpt
    Get a dropbox account! http://db.tt/6pxH9mf

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the link!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345