Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall Ubuntu from Dual Boot XP, with no install disks

Beans

Uninstall Ubuntu from Dual Boot XP, with no install disks

Hi All,
    I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot with my XP (I had another thread asking about my XP's corrupt IP settings and installing Ubuntu alongside) .. Anyway, I've tried it for a few days and decided I just don't have the time or energy or dedication right now, to learn a new platform. So, I need to uninstall Ubuntu from my dual boot XP. I want to then do a clean install of Win 7 thus getting rid of XP as well.
    I've been googling, and most of the uninstall-and-go-back-xp instructions that I've found involve the Windows XP install disks which I do not have.
    Other instructions seem pretty complicated, (I've never even heard of a Grub) and don't forget I have no internet on the XP side of my machine as my IP settings are corrupted so therefore if I need to download any clean-up program to run on the XP side, I can either download it from the ubuntu side,or I have another computer here and I can put it on the external HDD to transfer it over.

Ok Hope there's help here who's logged in, because I'm hoping to do this tonight. !

Thanks in advance!
    Tracy.
    Last edited by TracyA; May 21st, 2011 at 03:49 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Uninstall Ubuntu from Dual Boot XP, with no install disks

I really don't mean to sound like a dork or any thing but have but have you tried Zorin yet?http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin (I hate to see someone leave the open source scene ) also why is windoz saying your ip is tainted ? I am sure that the windoz crew could help with that so you dont have internet with windoz xp? when you boot into safe mode with networking do you get it then. I am sorry but this is the first time that I have heard of xp not allowing you to connect unless it is a pirate copy (that could have some root kits on it also )I hope that you get it worked out. is it you ip because you can change that also is it the mac-address that might be causing this to happen also? have you ran tracert in windoz to see if it get past you isp where is it getting redirected? at any rate please post as I am super curious thanks
    Joseph
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

Hi Joseph,
    My TCP/IP settings were corrupted by a virus,and I worked for 3 days trying to get them back. they are gone and Windows will not let me do anything to define them. A reinstall of Windows is absolutely necessary. I have no doubt about this. I just thought I'd try out Ubuntu first just out of curiosity. My question in the other thread was whether installing Ubuntu as a dual boot would make it's own IP settings so I would have internet while trying out Ubuntu... The answer turned out to be yes .. (my other thread is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1759195 )

No offense but I am so tired ... really tired.. of dealing with that problem and I've backed up all my files, and ready now to do that XP to Win7 change.
    I need help now to uninstall Ubuntu so I can leave my XP and then clean install win7.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Here is where you can download the XP home repair disks:

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/xphome.html

Here is where you can download the XP Pro repair disks:

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/xppro.html

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TracyA View Post
    Hi Joseph,
    My TCP/IP settings were corrupted by a virus,and I worked for 3 days trying to get them back. they are gone and Windows will not let me do anything to define them. A reinstall of Windows is absolutely necessary. I have no doubt about this. I just thought I'd try out Ubuntu first just out of curiosity. My question in the other thread was whether installing Ubuntu as a dual boot would make it's own IP settings so I would have internet while trying out Ubuntu... The answer turned out to be yes .. (my other thread is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1759195 )

No offense but I am so tired ... really tired.. of dealing with that problem and I've backed up all my files, and ready now to do that XP to Win7 change.
    I need help now to uninstall Ubuntu so I can leave my XP and then clean install win7.
    Thanks!
    Hi, I did lot of research and found this link about half way down the page it says you can restore win 98 and xp without a disk. http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p18.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TracyA View Post
    Hi Joseph,

Thanks!

You need to care of that virus I will make a bet that it is hidden deep now and it could be a multipliable kernel virus if you really want to can you erase your hd then do a fresh install of win 7? I would also do a rkhunter after I installed 7 as I would think that a virus with that power would stay with you I would use gparted to delete and my win xp side then install the 7 over my hd of ubuntu wait one min I would NEVER install windoz over ubuntu!!!!!!!!! I am sorry but I can not help you maybe you could try a windoz forum sorry best of luck
    Last edited by josephmills; May 21st, 2011 at 04:23 AM.
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Distro

If you boot into XP, you can also change the MBR to boot only XP by running this command at the DOS prompt:

Code:
    FDISK /MBR
    Once are are booting into XP only, you can delete the Ubuntu partitions:

Remove Swap Partiton

Remove Ubuntu Partition

Remove extended Partition

The Hedge

Last edited by Hedgehog1; May 21st, 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

As a side note, Windows 7 is the nicest MS Windows yet.

In the end, you need to use the OS that works for you.

The Hedge

Beans
    Hidden!

You can keep Ubuntu and install Win7 over XP if they are on separate partitions.Installing Win7 will wipe out Grub2. This is easily remedied by using the Windows bootloader to boot Ubuntu by chainloading Grub2. Look to my signature for the answer....EasyBCD. I have been dual-booting Win and Linux,BSD,Qnx for more than a few years.This will give you time to learn Linux and still have your Windows.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro

Agreed with all replies. If your machine is capable of running 7, do so. XP is obsolete and tired software. 7 will amaze you actually. It's really quite nice and Aero is impressive to say the least.

You need no disc for an uninstall, if your just removing OS's. I'm assuming you have a LEGAL Windows 7 disc...Just insert that into your cd/dvd drive and start up. Format the entire drive and install.

jtarin mentioned keeping Ubuntu, if their on separate partitions, this is good to for the reasons already described in earlier posts. EasyBCD is great for manipulating the windows bootloader.

With all that said, Hedgehog1 has hit the nail on the head:

In the end, you need to use the OS that works for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast