Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Move top menu bar to bottom 11.04 Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Move top menu bar to bottom 11.04 Unity

I agree- I installed 11.04 about 6 mos ago and DID NOT use UNITY. I just wanted to try out CHROME, installed it and found the top of the CHROME screen was under the menu bar. I could not move it so I figured that I would "temporarily" move the menu bar to the left side- all was OK- i MOVED THE CHROME screen down and went to relocate the menu bar back to the top.

There is no way that I can see to do this! Come on! I moved the damn thing and just want to move it back!

If the facts are that if this can't be done I'm outa here!

The jerk that designed that feature should be removed from the gene pool!
    For evil to thrive, good men must do nothing

Beans

the problem with having the unity launcher on the left is ever time i click the "back" button on my browser, the damn launcher appears.

because of my screen size, i am always fighting the launcher - get the cursor too close to the left of the screen and the damn launcher appears.

so annoying. not enjoyable user experience at all.
    if i could CHOOSE (remember that - when users were able to configure their desktop any way they want?) i would have the launcher at the bottom of the screen.

k.

Beans

any updates on how to move the menu bar from the top of the screen to the bottom? I upgraded to 11.10 today and love it except for the menu bar at the top. And reverting to Classic or 2D doesn't resolve the issue like it did in 11.04.

and why, why, why would an open source system lock down where menu bars are located?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by gfd_2 View Post
    why, why, why would an open source system lock down where menu bars are located?
    Because the open source project is finally showing its true face, that in reality it cares noting about the wishes of its users. Strangely they have no conception of the fact that if someone changed to them , its just as easy to change to someone else. Mint 11 is awesome, the best of Ubuntu and a very functional Gnome 2 desktop.
    Be happy, there are lots of other open source distro's / desktops that care about listening to its users. Sadly the new Gnome is also a lost cause imho and others. I think that Xfce will be taking great leaps and strides forward as it will get more developers and users. Kde is also very usable.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Unity DEFINATELY needs more customization options. Ubuntu is quickly becoming as restrictive as Windows or Mac OS X, and that is not what the open source movement was founded on! Things need to change.
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead Kaze View Post
    You're kidding... we CAN'T move the menu bar? Am I logged into Windows by mistake?

I have this new, fancy, and totally annoying vertical panel of buttons that thinks it needs to be on the left side of my right monitor. Reeeeaaallly ugly. If we cannot move it, this would be utterly ridiculous.
    You can move the panel in windows vista and windows 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The MENU panel can be moved around by -

RIGHT CLICKING ON AN EMPTY SPACE ON THE PANEL-
    THE SECOND SELECTION IS PROPERTIES.
    IN THE GENERAL TAB YOU CAN SELECT ORIENTATION AND CHOOSE TOP, BOTTOM, LEFT AND RIGHT FOR THE PANEL LOCATION.

My distro of 11.04 came with UNITY but I was having so much trouble with it that I went to CLASSIC UBUNTU where the panel can be relocated. I'm not sure the panel can be moved in UNITY.

From what I'm reading there are many, many issues with 11.10 and I'm going to wait on an upgrade. There doesn't seem to be a compelling list of reasons to upgrade- At least for me.
    For evil to thrive, good men must do nothing

Beans

Try this to move the unity bar on the bottom

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/how-t...bottom-of.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12