Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move top menu bar to bottom 11.04 Unity

Beans

Move top menu bar to bottom 11.04 Unity

I have the new Ubuntu and i like it. I just think it would be a little easier if that top bar can be moved to the bottom. On the classic it was easy. Also, i know i can choose classic on the login screen but i dont want classic. I just want the menu bar to be on bottom. I googled and googled and came up empty handed.
    Last edited by crkdvnm; May 20th, 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Move top menu bar to bottom 11.04 Unity

I googled and googled and came up empty handed.
    That's because you can't move the panel
    Whether 11.10 will allow this time will tell, otherwise you'd need someone to modify the unity plugin source ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    That's because you can't move the panel
    Whether 11.10 will allow this time will tell, otherwise you'd need someone to modify the unity plugin source ...
    Thats what i figured. Well thanks for your reply. Hopefully they will.

Beans

I'd like to be able to move the launcher to the right. Customisability is the big failing of Unity at present.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You're kidding... we CAN'T move the menu bar? Am I logged into Windows by mistake?

I have this new, fancy, and totally annoying vertical panel of buttons that thinks it needs to be on the left side of my right monitor. Reeeeaaallly ugly. If we cannot move it, this would be utterly ridiculous.
    ASRock 880GM-LE (micro ATX - Socket AM3 - AMD 880G - Socket AM3); AMD Athlon II X2 245e; 2Gb DDR3-1333 "Patriot" RAM; Scithe "Core Power 4" 600W, ATX 12V. (new as of July17)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Funny thing is, in Windows you can move the taskbar .

I like unity, but I just want to move my unity bar.

Beans

I agree with wanting to move the Launcher to the right. Every time I try and click the back arrow in Firefox I get tangled up with the Launcher bar pop-out. Very, very, very, very annoying. Please developers, come out with 11.06 (or whatever number you give it) and let us have the flexibility to move the Launcher and the menu bar. Just because YOU like it on the left doesn't mean EVERYONE likes it there. Please please please

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to chime in here with my 2 cents...

I did the upgrade to 11.04 and Unity a bit ago. You know what, at first I grumbled because it wasn't Gnome. Sure, I'm a bit of a creature of habit, but I can relax and give things a try. My intelligence can win out over my feelings, if I will it. So, I stuck with Unity for 3 full weeks.. so far. To be honest, I really do quite like the new Unity interface now. It's kind of handy. I've learned how to interact with it and make it do what I like. I really like the split-screen when I drag to the sides. Handy!..especially for spreadsheets. Wow. I really like that I can click on the Ubuntu symbol and find something fast - one click and a couple of letters and bingo.. there's what I want. Nice. I also really like the launcher design - the way minimized apps are shown and managed. Cool. Once you wrap your head around it, it's really nice! Good work.

Okay, so now that I'm familiar with it, I want to customize it.
    - I want my window controls (min/max/close) on the right - okay, got that figured out
    - I want my launcher (menu system) on the bottom (left side). That's where I like it. Hmm... how?
    - I want my clock (and other notification icons) on the bottom too (right side). That's where I like them.
    ...I can't do this? What do you mean "can't". Surely you jest. You mean it's awkward, I might have to edit a config file or get into the "registry" to do it, right?
    Oh... it's not a joke, I can NOT move them. Greaaaat.

I do NOT like that I can't tweak my interface layout. I might just be stubborn, but this is one "bug" that really nags at me. I min/max/close my windows at lightning speed with Gnome. I use Ubuntu for work and for play, it's my main OS; I have for years now. Now that Unity is on my desktop, I have to be very precise EVERY time I want to min/max/close a window. With Gnome, I could put the panel on the bottom and the window controls up at the top left corner of my screen. Once there, I can zip my mouse up to the top right corner and click in a flash, and poof, the window is gone. Now, you might not think this is a big deal, but I do. The interface should work FOR me, and help me move around. Now it's forcing me to find the tiny "close" button every time. Sure, there are lots of interesting tricks and improvements, and maybe Gnome is a little dated, sure.. I get it. No problem. BUT, telling me that I can NOT customize the layout of my interface, that's really .. NOT in the spirit of things. Sorry, it just isn't. I left Windows for good reason.

So for me, the inability to move the Unity interface around and modify the layout is a SHOW STOPPER. I gave it 3 weeks, and I really LIKE it... until now.

To the Unity developers... what really ticks me off is that I was willing to give it a good go, about 2.5 weeks more than most people would. I even got used to it being my interface. I even gave it a go YOUR way, and didn't even think about customizing it until I had used it for a while FIRST.

Sadly, if I can't have control over my interface layout, then I'll remove it and install Gnome again. It might be dated, but at least I can have it my way (which is the Linux spirit) ... *sigh

The verdict for me:
    "No layout option, no interface adoption."
    "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by darkhelmetchris View Post
    Sadly, if I can't have control over my interface layout, then I'll remove it and install Gnome again. It might be dated, but at least I can have it my way (which is the Linux spirit) ... *sigh
    Just in case you are heading to search for a Gnome package to install, Gnome is right below of Unity.

The only differences to classic Gnome are the Unity Launcher and top panel (which are nothing more than a Compiz plugin) instead of Gnome Panel, and the by default enabled Global Menu integration, that's basically all, maybe some more different Compiz settings.

Btw., you can run any other dock or panel in a Unity, Gnome, or Custom session, as long as it's working with Gnome. Personally, I'm running AWN.

Greetings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by darkhelmetchris View Post

The verdict for me:
    "No layout option, no interface adoption."
    Have you tried Gnome Shell with gnome-tweak-tool yet? It's fairly immature on 11.10 but I think you'll see your desired customization in Gnome shell before you see it in Unity. As long as various docks and add-ons work in Gnome 3, all is not lost. Have you looked at Xubuntu/Xfce? It seems that Xfce can be made to look much like Gnome 2. I know that Xubuntu's dock in on the bottom of the screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast