Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.10 hibernate not installed by default

Beans

Exclamation 10.10 hibernate not installed by default

Hibernate never worked in my current Ubuntu install, 10.10. Symptoms varied. Sometimes just a blank screen with blinking cursor. Other times there were error messages. Suspend works OK.

I was about to report a bug when I discovered that the hibernate package was not installed, according to Synaptic. I installed hibernate and it now works without any problems. (resumes OK, too)

I performed a standard install of 10.10, so I don't know why the package was missing. The option to hibernate was listed in the shutdown dialog.

I just want to flag this as an apparent problem with the 10.10 install.
    Last edited by tgc05; November 14th, 2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typos

Beans

Re: 10.10 hibernate not installed by default

Thanks for this, I'd been scratching my head over lack of hibernation for a while - installing hibernate fixed it and it now works fine.

Quite why someone at canonical hasn't noticed this glaring omission with all the "my hibernate doesn't work" threads all over the forum I can't begin to explain...

Beans
    Hidden!

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-power-manager

Beans
    Hidden!

The package called "hibernate" is not installed on my system, but I can hibernate. It's not a requirement.

Beans

i believe the package pm-tools provides hibernate as well as suspend by default in gnome/ubuntu at least. check
    Code:
    man /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate
    . but if the hibernate package makes it work for you - who cares

Beans

double posted, sorry
    Last edited by ridetheteapot; November 26th, 2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: could someone delete?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have tried installing Hibernate and it still does not work. If I select Suspend or Hibernate the machine goes to sleep, but there does not seem to be any way to wake it again.

I'm on 10.10 64 bit

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah I too continue having problems w/hibernate/suspend (for the last 10 years). In that time I have never been able to get it all working properly at all.And over that time it has been with varying laptops.

Right now with Gnome Power Manager, which is suppose to simplify the whole thing,I get options for suspend, which just blanks my screen, after an hour or so system is really hot, fan going full bore so nothing is suspending. Other option is shutdown, that works. But No hibernate option.

However on my desktop I have all three options.
    Both have same packages installed that control these functions. I have never tried the suspend/hibernate on desktop, I guess I should to see if they work at all as they are suppose to.

Googleling seems to bring up 101 things to do. With varying results which have yet to yield a fully working suspend/hibernate on laptop.

I have said this many times before, Microsoft can make this work properly so what's up with our Linux community on this one very fundamental requirement.

Somebody please give us a clear and simple solution, PLEASE !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by silvagroup; December 29th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Beans

Type in a terminal:

sudo pm-hibernate

Beans

hibernate via pm-hibernate in terminal just disconnects wlan and reconnects it..
    i do not have any hibernate option in the "power-button-menu".

any ideas how to fix this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast