Thread: Samba 4 can replace 2008 AD?

Beans

Samba 4 can replace 2008 AD?

I've done a bit of googling but have not been able to find a definitive answer. Can Samba4 replace the Active Directory on a Windows Server 2008 platform? I want to bring down my DC and replace it with a Samba4 server, but the AD is at 2008 level.

Beans

Re: Samba 4 can replace 2008 AD?

Quote Originally Posted by vtk View Post
    I've done a bit of googling but have not been able to find a definitive answer. Can Samba4 replace the Active Directory on a Windows Server 2008 platform? I want to bring down my DC and replace it with a Samba4 server, but the AD is at 2008 level.
    Samba4 is still alpha AFAIK... I would say no, it cannot replace a full-blown DC yet.

Perhaps if this isn't a production environment and you're just playing around... but it sounds like it is a production environment.

I hope one day Samba4 gives AD a run for its money - but at this stage, I don't think it can completely replace AD.

Samba3 can run as a PDC or as a member, but I'm not sure how deep the services run... I'm no AD expert, sorry!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That would not be a good idea, Samba 4 is only in its Alpha release phase.

From what the stated goals are for the Samba 4 release it sounds like it will be able to do what you want but not yet. They do not even have an expected release date yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i dont remember the goal of SAMBA to be a replacement for AD but an implementation of AD structure..
    a server that compatible with AD and most of it's features but i dont think that in the current advantage of development it can compete with Microsoft team so fast.