Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot Install on Old Toshiba Laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot Install on Old Toshiba Laptop

you could always take it apart and clean the crap out of it I have had almost the sme issue what I did was open the laptop up. Then cleaned it then mad sure that the fan was not being blocked by anything dust hair ect and cleaned with an old toothbrush then gave my room mate the tooth brush to clean his teeth just kindding about the roomate stuff next after you clean the whole thing out I would say to get some new heat grease take off the heat sink for the cpu then get all of the old heat grease off of it then use a TINY bit of rubbing alcohol to get the fingerprints off of the top of the cpu (the part that touches the heat sink) then apply the new heat grease then put it all back together and there you go no more over heating I would also look into getting more clean air into the fan if there is anything that is blocking your fan then it is going to overheat, remeber that heat is a computer worst nightmare. Hope that this helps and hey might be FUN
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks, All! Lubuntu 10.10 is up and running with all updates in and everything working fine.....almost. I ended up leaving the panel off between the keyboard and monitor which exposed part of the cpu fan allowing a lot more air in (after everything was clean). I also placed an ice pack under the computer in the cpu vacinity and balanced another on top where the fan would draw cool air. I used the Lubuntu 10.10 alternate install and kept fresh ice packs on it and watched the condensation level closely. Got it all loaded, got wireless card set up, got updates done. I may have the guts to try the upgrade to 11.04........eventually.

The only issue I'm having now is that the monitor is not detected correctly....I think. The desktop doesn't spread across the whole screen. There is about a 1" to 1.5" margin of black screen all the way around. Not ideal, but totally usable. I'll post this issue as a new thread and see what happens and I'll mark this thread as solved if I can figure out how.

Again, thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Since marking the thread solved, I have cleaned the old grease off and put new on. That seemed to totally solve the overheating issue.

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12