Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dell XPS15 L502X - Noob's way for Optimus issue

Beans

Re: Dell XPS15 L502X - Noob's way for Optimus issue

I attempted the method described at the beginning on this thread on a fresh install, except on an XPS17 L702X, and upon running test_off.sh everything fails (which I suppose means the driver wasn't successfully turned off...)
    Help? I'm only getting 2.5 hours of battery life on here as opposed to 7 with windows 7 :/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by clipmaster3 View Post
    I attempted the method described at the beginning on this thread on a fresh install, except on an XPS17 L702X, and upon running test_off.sh everything fails (which I suppose means the driver wasn't successfully turned off...)
    Help? I'm only getting 2.5 hours of battery life on here as opposed to 7 with windows 7 :/
    Run this:

Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    If you see nothing about Nvidia, power the laptop off, then restart. The card seems to disappear under certain conditions on reboot (typically with the acpi_call module loaded at reboot time, in my experience).

Alternatively, the XPS might have a different BIOS than mine, check in the BIOS if you can disable the discreet card there, which would save battery life as well.

Beans

sorry, for such long time no responses from me, but I had really busy lat 2 weeks.

@clipmaster3
    here somebody got L702x graphic card successfully turned off - https://lists.launchpad.net/hybrid-g.../msg00663.html

@Ranko Kohime
    waht's Your status about nvidia turning off?

I should warn You and many others that newest updates of Ubuntu 11.04 in my case destroyed all X'es, all bumbleebee and other configs - horrible.
    Probably I will coming back to latest configuration a few hours

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pszafer View Post
    @Ranko Kohime
    waht's Your status about nvidia turning off?

I should warn You and many others that newest updates of Ubuntu 11.04 in my case destroyed all X'es, all bumbleebee and other configs - horrible.
    Probably I will coming back to latest configuration a few hours
    I haven't experienced any updates causing major breakages, just a few annoyances. I've got the edgers and bumblebee PPA's, and I've upgraded to 2.6.38-10 kernel. I still haven't successfully built a 3.0-anything kernel, as the ones I do kernel panic, and I'm not sure what options I'm missing in the compile stage. I'd be interested to know what broke your setup, so I can avoid it, if I haven't already experienced it.

I am experiencing the occasional total lockup, but it's unrepeatable, and I haven't experienced it for more than a week now, and I honestly have no idea if it's even related to the video card mess, or my processor (engineering sample)

I've had the ability to disable the Nvidia card for a while, I think since I saw this thread, and still do. Temperatures are down noticeably, and battery life appears to be over 3 hours, whenever the card is disabled.

I upgraded to the bumblebee PPA version, and now it re-enables the card on shutdown, so I can reboot instead of shutting down and powering back on. (Previously, the driver would leave the card disabled, or force it disabled if I had purposely enabled it on rebooting, causing the card to disappear from lspci for as long as the laptop remained powered on, and upon reboot the card automatically becomes enabled, and since it can't be seen, can't be disabled.)

Only real issue I'm still having is getting the Performance mode working. The display updates around 20-22 FPS, which is just a little annoying watching videos at 30 FPS. When I do
    Code:
    optirun64 vlc
    I get the following:
    Code:
    ranko@yggdrasil:~$ optirun64 vlc
     * Starting Bumblebee X server bumblebee                                                                                                                         Enabling nVidia Card Succeded.
                                                                                                                                                              [ OK ]
    VLC media player 1.1.9 The Luggage (revision exported)
    Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
    Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
    [0xafebf0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
    Blocked: call to setenv("ORBIT_SOCKETDIR", "/tmp/orbit-ranko", 1)
    Warning: call to srand(1310373608)
    Warning: call to rand()
    Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:21611): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    Upon playing the video, it's obviously still running on the integrated graphics only, even though the card light is showing active.

Also, although I haven't tested it yet to confirm that my hardware is laid out the same, if the HDMI port is connected to the Nvidia card as opposed to the combined output stage, I'd like to get that working, as I can see a future use for the HDMI port.
    Last edited by Ranko Kohime; July 16th, 2011 at 01:15 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345