Thread: While testing Compiz, it broke my desktop

Beans

While testing Compiz, it broke my desktop

Hi all,
    Today, after some testing with compiz in my PC, I ended up uninstalling it again, because the video card didn't have the right specs. So when I rebooted, my desktop started acting weird - the applications' top panels disappeared, they couldn't be moved around, no more usable workspaces, etc ... also the mouse pointer keeps on rotating indefinitely, making my OS practically unusable.
    So is there any hope I can restore my desktop to its previous state, or do I have to do a full reinstall, which I'd like to avoid if possible ?

Using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic, 64 bit, Gnome.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: While testing Compiz, it broke my desktop

9.10 is no longer supported. It is highly recommended that you install a newer version (like 10.04 supported until 2013 or 11.04 supported until 2012).

You can try to boot Ubuntu in fail-safe mode to see what is happening.

Other than that, my guess is that since compiz is considered part of your desktop, removing it may have removed something important (did you take a good look at the packages that you were removing). Unfortunately with 9.10 you can no longer use Synaptic or the Software Center to install things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    9.10 is no longer supported. It is highly recommended that you install a newer version (like 10.04 supported until 2013 or 11.04 supported until 2012).

You can try to boot Ubuntu in fail-safe mode to see what is happening.

Other than that, my guess is that since compiz is considered part of your desktop, removing it may have removed something important (did you take a good look at the packages that you were removing). Unfortunately with 9.10 you can no longer use Synaptic or the Software Center to install things.
    Thanks 3Miro, your guess was right. When I removed compiz, I did a complete removal, which broke my desktop. Reinstalled it ( compiz-core ) and it's all good now.
    Surely, sooner or later I'll be upgrading to a newer version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erind View Post
    Thanks 3Miro, your guess was right. When I removed compiz, I did a complete removal, which broke my desktop. Reinstalled it ( compiz-core ) and it's all good now.
    Surely, sooner or later I'll be upgrading to a newer version.
    You got lucky then. You probably had the .deb cached on your HDD, there is no way to download the .deb for 9.10 anymore (maybe there is some obscure repo server left, but not an official one).

Try to move to 10.04 as soon as you can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by erind View Post
    Hi all,
    Today, after some testing with compiz in my PC, I ended up uninstalling it again, because the video card didn't have the right specs. So when I rebooted, my desktop started acting weird - the applications' top panels disappeared, they couldn't be moved around, no more usable workspaces, etc ... also the mouse pointer keeps on rotating indefinitely, making my OS practically unusable.
    So is there any hope I can restore my desktop to its previous state, or do I have to do a full reinstall, which I'd like to avoid if possible ?

Using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic, 64 bit, Gnome.
    Thanks
    Hi, that just happend to me I had to use a laptop the other day that I have not use in three years, and I could not upgrade it to the next version of ubuntu because the repos not there anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    You got lucky then. You probably had the .deb cached on your HDD, there is no way to download the .deb for 9.10 anymore (maybe there is some obscure repo server left, but not an official one).

Try to move to 10.04 as soon as you can.
    I'll definitely upgrade. Not sure what source I got the package from, I just went the same old way: sudo apt-get install compiz-core and it did the magic.
    Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, that just happend to me I had to use a laptop the other day that I have not use in three years, and I could not upgrade it to the next version of ubuntu because the repos not there anymore.
    Upgrading from repositories won't work. You'll have to download the image from Ubuntu website and write it on a disk or USB and then install... All additional details on Ubuntu Homepage.