Thread: Install without a default account

Beans

Install without a default account

Hello,

I want to install install an ubuntu server (10.04) VM, but i do not want to create a default user,

that way i can reuse the vm (login as root and create the default user whenever i need another vm),

the problem is how am i going to login as root, what is the default root password in ubuntu?

or is there another way to do this?

Thanks in avance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Install without a default account

The root account is locked by default in Ubuntu (sudo is used to gain root privileges), hence the reason you are prompted to create a non-root account. I'm certain that you would be able to accomplish what you want, but I have no idea how to do it. I just thought you would like to know about the root account.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans
    Hidden!

the command sudo su will open a root terminal, maybe thats what your looking for

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spcwingo View Post
    The root account is locked by default in Ubuntu (sudo is used to gain root privileges), hence the reason you are prompted to create a non-root account. I'm certain that you would be able to accomplish what you want, but I have no idea how to do it. I just thought you would like to know about the root account.
    Thanks for the quick reply,

i wish there was a way to specify the root password at installation time at least for ubuntu server, this was sort of possible with vmbuilder i think.

i'll just create the default user for now.

Cheers.