Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opening multiple instances of Nautilus

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

opening multiple instances of Nautilus

Hello,

Just wondering where is "Places" for Unity. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: opening multiple instances of Nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Hello,

It hasn't been implemented yet. You can right click "files and folders" for some folder locations. There is a ppa to add in places in Nautilus I believe. I can't recall the site though you can likely find it through a quick google search. I expect it to be implemented by 11.10.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Clicking on the Home Folder in the new Unity Bar will open nautilus, middle-clicking on it will open another instance
    I use compiz and I have the Alt+H shortcut to open nautilus btw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You say "multiple instances" in you thread title, so... If you have one Nautilus widow open already, you have the equivalent of the Places menu in the left pane. If you want to open one of the places listed there simply right-click on it and "Open in New Window". You can even automount an unmounted internal partition listed there this way. You can also right-click on a folder in the main pane and "open in new window" as well.

It's really quite neat and tidy so, once you get used to it, there's no real need for a separate places menu.

Or, as hakermania says, middle-click on the Home Folder in the launcher and a new instance of nautilus will open.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    You say "multiple instances" in you thread title, so... If you have one Nautilus widow open already, you have the equivalent of the Places menu in the left pane. If you want to open one of the places listed there simply right-click on it and "Open in New Window". You can even automount an unmounted internal partition listed there this way. You can also right-click on a folder in the main pane and "open in new window" as well.

It's really quite neat and tidy so, once you get used to it, there's no real need for a separate places menu.

Or, as hakermania says, middle-click on the Home Folder in the launcher and a new instance of nautilus will open.

Or press Ctrl-N

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Or press Ctrl-N
    That's cool!

Beans

beew =
    in addition to the numerous ways mentioned there is also a places 'menu' available in the unity panel bar when focus is on the desktop.
    It is expandable thru bookmarks
    (though if you've removed/disabled the global menu it will not be there, one of the reasons to keep the GM and disable apps individually
    Also any location can be added to the home folder or any launcher icon thru quicklists - locations in home directory are directly entered, otherwise they need the full path

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Hello,

Hi, maybe someone might find this useful a background with the keyboard short cuts for natty.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 10th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

I am really concerned with the progress of DeskTop Managers in Ubuntu in 11.10. In 11.04 Gnome 2.3 it took these steps to open a program. (1) move mouse over the icon on the panel, (2) double click on the icon. Now in 11.10, we have this. (1) move mouse over the icon (2) use one hand to click ctr, (3) use the other hand to click N. I may be sounding disappointed if I do not see this as progress.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ubu2008 View Post
    I am really concerned with the progress of DeskTop Managers in Ubuntu in 11.10. In 11.04 Gnome 2.3 it took these steps to open a program. (1) move mouse over the icon on the panel, (2) double click on the icon. Now in 11.10, we have this. (1) move mouse over the icon (2) use one hand to click ctr, (3) use the other hand to click N. I may be sounding disappointed if I do not see this as progress.
    Actually it's much simpler than what you are descibing.

You can either
    1) move cursor to an icon. 2) click it

..or to open a new window of already open application:
    1) move cursor to an icon. 2) click it with middle mouse button

The Ctrl+N shortcut is in no way related to launcher icons, and therefore you don't need to point to any icon to use it. It's used when you already have a file manager window open (most programs have this shortcut for new windows, in Linux, Windows and OS X at least). So this isn't related to the desktop environment or operating system you use, even less to UI elements like Unity. It's a comon feature in the programs themselves.
    Last edited by mcduck; January 10th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast