Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nvidia GT 430 xorg.conf issues (boots to black screen)

Beans

Re: Nvidia GT 430 xorg.conf issues (boots to black screen)

dmesg output attached

Quote Originally Posted by ian dobson View Post
    Hi,

Could you attach a copy of your dmesg output. It looks as if the nvidia kernel module can't load.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    wouldn't work this time.

However,
    startx
    did, but I'm in a different looking (different skin'ed) gui and I can't vnc in (that's not a big deal for now, but I'm just trying to be descriptive).

The highest res that I can choose is 640x480 for the VGA connection. The HDMI connection will allow me to choose 1920x1080, but as soon as I choose that, all the buttons for the nvidia settings window drip below my 640x480 screen and I can't edit anything. So, I added panning to increase the viewable area and be able to attempt a save to X Configuration file. When I hit that button, I get a "segmentation fault" (I ran it as sudo from a terminal window).

Quote Originally Posted by realzippy View Post
    ..maybe old kernel modules?
    try:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop 
    sudo rmmod nvidia
    sudo modprobe nvidia
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    same error popup?

Beans

All of this is very similar to my issue a couple of years ago with my old video card. Eventually, I found settings in my xorg.conf file that made it work correctly. There may be something else going on here, but it just feels like the same issue.

My old video card was a 8500 GT.

I've also tried 11.04 and 10.10 and can't seem to get anything different....but then again, I guess that's not a surprise if it's a driver or xorg.conf file issue.

I have a nettop with an ION card and it just works...no configuration needed. In my testing with that, I've reinstalled several times (for various reasons...i'm learning) and the video works like magic.

I'm not sure what else to do? Offer a bounty?

Beans

I think there is something wrong with the "updates" (i.e. apt-get) somewhere....or...?

I decided to try a fresh install (picked 10.10 randomly) and did not check the "download updates" checkbox. However, I did check the box to have it download 3rd party updates (mp3, etc). I also had it use the open source drivers when it asked.

When it finished, I let it reboot twice...why?...because it seems like thumb drives don't actually mount until after the 2nd reboot and there is another setting (record X minutes past a certian event) that I can never set after the first boot after the install. Maybe it doesn't mean anything.

Then, I added the Nvidia hardware drivers via the "additional drivers" program. Rebooted again.

It comes up and only allows me to use up to 1360x768 (half HD) on the VGA. It allows me to set 1920x1080 on the HDMI, but it doesn't actually output any video.

Copied my xorg.conf.oldcard (from one of my early posts) into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rebooted again.

blamo...I get full 1080 on both outputs.

NOW, I do apt-get update/upgrade

WTF?

One other side note. 10.10 seems to be the best for scanning OTA. 10.04 scans and tells me there are conflicts and makes me choose names. 11.04 gives me a kernel panic on 4/5 boot attempts from the live cd. Also, 11.04 doesn't restart when you ask it to restart...restart=logout on 11.04...I don't like that. I'm sure it could be changed/configured, but if I want to logout, I can choose that. dumb

Beans

BTW, after I got everything working and rebooted.

Then I did the apt-get update/upgrade (like I said above).

Now I get a black screen when I boot.

Can someone help me figure out which update is causing me issues and maybe blacklist it?

I would really appreciate it.

Beans

I think it is related to irexec.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Your dmesg shows (3) different versions of nvidia driver modules trying to be loaded..
    IMO That does seem normal.

Are you using the 32 bit pae kernel ? Is that reliable ?

I would install the nvidia driver from a 3rd party package ppa that installs properly.
    AFAIK The only blacklist needed is to nouveau but the nvidia package install script is meant to do this.

Module vga16fb is blacklisted in *buntu 10.04 but you can see it loaded in your dmesg std out..

Have you tried the nvidia driver from nvidia x-swat team ppa or JYAs ppa
    Both these install properly.

The cmd to stop start gdm X server
    sudo service gdm stop (& start)

What is in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file..
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; May 22nd, 2011 at 03:53 AM.

Beans

Unfortunately I don't know how (or how not) to use/install pae. But, yes, I am using 32bit.

Yes, I have tried the ppa you mentioned.

My Xorg.0.log is posted a few posts back...but I've posted it a few times.

Again, I think it's related to irexec. I'm thinking it has to do with it loading as a deamon (or not as a deamon...i.e. with the -d switch). The loading seems to be in this file: /usr/share/mythbuntu/session.sh

There is a line (approx line 31) where the only thing on the line is irexec. It may or may not have a -d after it depending on what you're running.

Removing or adding the -d might be what I am looking for to help me fix the boot to black screen issue. There is still a problem with the xorg.conf file, but I think my custom build along with checking this irexec call in the session.sh file seems to be fixing my issue.

Why? I have no idea, but I hope if anyone knows why, maybe they can explain and it might help other people.

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    Your dmesg shows (3) different versions of nvidia driver modules trying to be loaded..
    IMO That does seem normal.

Are you using the 32 bit pae kernel ? Is that reliable ?

I would install the nvidia driver from a 3rd party package ppa that installs properly.
    AFAIK The only blacklist needed is to nouveau but the nvidia package install script is meant to do this.

Module vga16fb is blacklisted in *buntu 10.04 but you can see it loaded in your dmesg std out..

Have you tried the nvidia driver from nvidia x-swat team ppa or JYAs ppa
    Both these install properly.

The cmd to stop start gdm X server
    sudo service gdm stop (& start)

What is in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So you did post Xorg.0.log...lazy me.

I meant to say:
    IMO That does NOT seem normal.

I guess you have incompletely installed/uninstalled packages..

As your VGA-0 wired port display does not report a valid EDID you need to use the following in the appropriate monitor section of your xorg.conf. Then the mode validation will be done using the h & v freq data you provide.

Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"

If you have to make the driver use a wired port that does not auto detect then add this:
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT-0"

BTW All the lirc stuff has completely changed with newer kernels 2.6.36...(I still using 10.04 *buntu & MythTV)
    So lirc-module-sources package is now only needed for the really old original imon devices..

Don't know your usage but ..
    If you run irexec without the -d option it will run in foreground & your script will not terminate until irexec exits..
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: EDID & imon lirc

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234