Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replace gnome panel in Ubuntu Classic (11.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Replace gnome panel in Ubuntu Classic (11.04)

Excellent find, but if that's the case, then it's a bad move, since it applies to all users. I suppose that, to avoid being messy, one would need to create a third Gnome session just for AWN.

Edit: Oh, wait, I'm a moron. Why are we doing this from a Classic session? Disable the Unity plugin and restart Compiz, and we should get the same effect.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; May 19th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    okay, i found where they moved it to.
    look in "/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions" you'll see "classic-gnome.session" open that with a root text editor.

ps: i use gexec for alt+f2 when i disable gnome-panel, just disable the stock & create with gexec as the command.

thanks for finding the proper config file and the alt-f2 replacement. It's very much appreciated.

Now if I can find a replacement for Window Applets (puts the title bar and window control buttons in the task bar) I will be set

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Edit: Oh, wait, I'm a moron. Why are we doing this from a Classic session? Disable the Unity plugin and restart Compiz, and we should get the same effect.
    I'm the moron, are you telling me I can get what I want by using the standard Ubuntu desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Well, it works either way, whether you want to use the Classic session or the Unity one, but as I understand it, yes, it would have been simpler to start with the Unity session and disable the Unity plugin in CompizConfig there rather than to start with the Classic session and disable the Gnome Panel. That would also mean that all the changes would be confined to the user account.

Edit: Ooh. I'm liking gexec. Thanks, kerry_s!
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; May 19th, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rimez View Post
    thanks for finding the proper config file and the alt-f2 replacement. It's very much appreciated.

Now if I can find a replacement for Window Applets (puts the title bar and window control buttons in the task bar) I will be set
    google "namebar applet" i think thats what your looking for.
    Last edited by kerry_s; May 19th, 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Well, it works either way, whether you want to use the Classic session or the Unity one, but as I understand it, yes, it would have been simpler to start with the Unity session and disable the Unity plugin in CompizConfig there rather than to start with the Classic session and disable the Gnome Panel. That would also mean that all the changes would be confined to the user account.

Edit: Ooh. I'm liking gexec. Thanks, kerry_s!
    i agree using unity with out the plugin seems the easiest way now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12