Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial - Install OpenVPN on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tutorial - Install OpenVPN on Ubuntu 10.04

I've created a very detailed howto guide on installing OpenVPN server and client on Ubuntu 10.04. The instructions should also work with newer versions.

It's designed for a casual user who has a Ubuntu server and wants to set up a VPN so they can safely access the Internet from an insecure hotspot.

It's currently in the form of an 11 page PDF located here:

http://madisonlinux.org/InstallingOpenVPNOnUbuntu10.04

Comments welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Tutorial - Install OpenVPN on Ubuntu 10.04

That's a nice guide, very comprehensive and well laid out. Congrats.

Not a fan of having it in a PDF though, but maybe that's just me.

As an alternative, I have created a fully interactive script to build PPP over SSH based VPNs.

A five minute setup guide can be found here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, PDF was the quickest way to get it out there. I'll probably covert it to a web page in the future. Our LUG's website is under construction and I didn't want to do it twice.

Your script looks like a great idea. Does it work properly with Network Manager on the client?

Beans

hello;i have a Ubuntu 11.04 ; any guys can setup a openvpn server for me?
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Zenguy View Post
    I've created a very detailed howto guide on installing OpenVPN server and client on Ubuntu 10.04. The instructions should also work with newer versions.

It's designed for a casual user who has a Ubuntu server and wants to set up a VPN so they can safely access the Internet from an insecure hotspot.

It's currently in the form of an 11 page PDF located here:

http://madisonlinux.org/InstallingOpenVPNOnUbuntu10.04

Comments welcome.
    Awesome. I've tried a bunch of other tutorials, and this one is the only one that did it for me.
    However, I have a problem.
    I can successfully connect to the openVPN server at home, but only for like 20 seconds at the time. The internet connection drops after that, but the vpn connection stays up.
    Any help on that would be much appreciated.
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick | ASUS A6Rp | Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz | 4 GB ram |
    Graphic Card: ATI Technologies inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

Beans

I'm lovin'it!

Thanks a lot

Beans

This did the trick for me (client wise):
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn
    more specific:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

Beans

Hi!
    While I´m reading you guide. I have a private VPN subscription service running in Windows and I want to install it in Ubuntu (natty).
    The company has a downloadable file in which the relevan info is included, for example:

dev tap
    remote 88.XX.XX.X
    float XX.XX.XX.X
    port 5210
    ifconfig, etc.

How can I put all this info in my vpn configuration?

I am sorry but I am completely new to linux and it's becoming very difficult for me just to follow general guides.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ercolino - You have to take the settings from you subscription and set up a VPN profile in Network Manager. The last part of my guide that deals with the Client setup shows you the way to do it, but your settings will be different. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ZENGUY: your PDF instructions were admittedly better than all the others I have found so far, including the official guide from OpenVPN, as well as the Ubuntu guide, but................there are still some significant questions that have yet to be answered. My first attempt at using your guide was a failure, and I hope you can help me clear them up. Here they are:

Does your guide work for a standard-issue distribution of Ubuntu desktop, or does it have to specifically be Ubuntu Server? (I have been trying to install OpenVPN on a newly installed Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop virtual Machine running on VMWare workstation, with a bridged interface to the host)
    When I run an ifconfig command after the VPN server is running (or at least I assume it is), I get listings for eth0, br0, and tap0. Both eth0 and br0 have ethernet addresses on the same subnet, but they are different (192.168.102.36 and 192.168.102.38, respectively), and tap0 does not have an address. Is this what I am supposed to be seeing?

A part of your instruction involves installing network manager. Prior to installing and configuring OpenVPN on my Ubuntu box, I was using Wicd to manage my network connections. Does the Wicd application interfere with the proper operation of NetworkManager or the configurations that are part of configuring the OpenVPN server?

Does this work with an installation of Ubuntu that has only one NIC?

I have been trying for a week to make OpenVPN work, and your instructions have gotten me further than any other instructions have, but there still are some gaps in my understanding of exactly how it should look and work when properly configured and running. I will keep trying, but any help you could provide answering those questions would be a big help - Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast