Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial - Install OpenVPN on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tutorial - Install OpenVPN on Ubuntu 10.04

SOMDdan,

The guide should work in the very specific configuration that I've listed. When you add variable like desktop vs. server installation, then there are no guarantees. It introduces more variables to the mix. I think it should work, but there might be some issue with some version of some file.

Regarding your ifconfig question, something might be wrong. On my server when I ifconfig, only the br0 has an IPv4 address. The eth0 and tap0 do not.

Wicd is another variable. I don't know how it handles VPN clients. If it has no provision for them, then you will need to find a guide that tells you how to install a VPN client without network manager. You will have to ensure that all settings match the default client settings that I show in the guide.

The guide was written and is running on a machine that has only one NIC.

A few more thoughts for you...

1) If you are setting up virtual machines, then setup a server instead of a desktop. It only takes a few minutes and will remove any doubt about the configuration.

2) Make sure your test machine connecting into the VPN is on a different network. (i.e. ifconfig reports different 192.168.x.x for the server and client before the connection is made.)

3) Check the server and client VPN logs. Let me know if you get specific error messages.

I'm traveling this weekend, so it may be difficult for me to respond timely. Good luck. I know how frustrating this can be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SOMDdan View Post
    ZENGUY: your PDF instructions were admittedly better than all the others I have found so far, including the official guide from OpenVPN, as well as the Ubuntu guide, but................there are still some significant questions that have yet to be answered. My first attempt at using your guide was a failure, and I hope you can help me clear them up. Here they are:

Does your guide work for a standard-issue distribution of Ubuntu desktop, or does it have to specifically be Ubuntu Server? (I have been trying to install OpenVPN on a newly installed Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop virtual Machine running on VMWare workstation, with a bridged interface to the host)
    When I run an ifconfig command after the VPN server is running (or at least I assume it is), I get listings for eth0, br0, and tap0. Both eth0 and br0 have ethernet addresses on the same subnet, but they are different (192.168.102.36 and 192.168.102.38, respectively), and tap0 does not have an address. Is this what I am supposed to be seeing?

A part of your instruction involves installing network manager. Prior to installing and configuring OpenVPN on my Ubuntu box, I was using Wicd to manage my network connections. Does the Wicd application interfere with the proper operation of NetworkManager or the configurations that are part of configuring the OpenVPN server?

Does this work with an installation of Ubuntu that has only one NIC?

I have been trying for a week to make OpenVPN work, and your instructions have gotten me further than any other instructions have, but there still are some gaps in my understanding of exactly how it should look and work when properly configured and running. I will keep trying, but any help you could provide answering those questions would be a big help - Thanks

OK, I think I got it figured out now. I had a couple of typos that were screwing me up.

Beans

Great guide thank you,

I have been trying to get openvpn server running on my Ubuntu Desktop 11.04. I am having a problem with bridging the network interface. When I try to bridge br0 to wlan0 I get an error saying:

* Reconfiguring network interfaces... can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported

I am guessing this is because Ubuntu does not like trying to bridge the wlan interface. Does anyone know how to get round this as using eth0 is not an option for me at the moment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KRL_UK View Post
    Great guide thank you,

I have been trying to get openvpn server running on my Ubuntu Desktop 11.04. I am having a problem with bridging the network interface. When I try to bridge br0 to wlan0 I get an error saying:

* Reconfiguring network interfaces... can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported

I am guessing this is because Ubuntu does not like trying to bridge the wlan interface. Does anyone know how to get round this as using eth0 is not an option for me at the moment?
    I don't know if there is a way to bridge to a wireless interface, but a quick, cheap and easy way to bypass this obstacle would be to purchase a network gaming adapter or a network powerline adapter. It will plug into your existing wired Ethernet port and allow you to configure as a wired connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Not to resurrect a dead thread, however I was setting up the server on 10.10.

Within your up.sh and down.sh scripts:
    /usr/sbin/brctl addif $BR $DEV

The brctl executable is located at /sbin/brctl for me, not /usr/sbin. I'm sure however this may vary depending on people's installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Can anyone help me.

I followed the server side instructions of this guide to the letter.

I can make a successful vpn connection, but I can't now access my router page at 192.168.0.1 from my server (192.168.0.100)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

c-m,

I suspect that you are pretty close to being successful. Here are some things to check (in no particular order):

1. Can you ping your router or your server? If not, then the VPN connection has not been made correctly.
    2. You can also check to make sure your connection looks good. Establish a VPN connection and enter a terminal and type: ifconfig (You should see your tap0 device and it's IP address should be on your network's subnet 192.168.0.x.)
    3. Check your client and server VPN logs. You will probably find a clue there.
    4. Double check all your settings and configuration files. Make sure you didn't turn on any extra features, other than the ones listed in the guide.
    5. Your router isn't doing any fancy security that would prevent you from accessing it from any machine on your network, right?
    6. What error are you getting when the router tries to resolve? Timeout? Is there another webserver on your LAN that is closed to the internet, but you can try to hit from your VPN connection?
    7. The network that you are connecting from is a different subnet from the one you are VPNing to, right? You may have problems if they are both on 192.168.0.x, even if they have different external IP addresses.

Let us know if you find the solution.

Beans
    Distro

My VPN server is my ubuntu box at 192.168.0.100

My router is at 192.168.0.1

My client is my android mobile via HSDPA. When connected it is receiving the ip 192.168.0.200

When trying to access the router in the web browser of any device it times out.

If i ping the router I get "destination host unreachable"

Yet I can access the internet just fine on both server and client

The android device although connected to the VPN doesn't seem to be using the hosts connection (though i've read that some additional commands in the host server config are needed for that)

I also run NXserver of ssh - the changes i've made to setup VPN seem to have made the nxclient on my windows machine disconnect more frequently.

Just ran ifconfig on the host. I can see the following adapters:

br0
    eth1 (hmm i selected eth0 in config)
    lo
    tap0
    vmnet1
    vmnet8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

c-m,

As a quick test, can you try to connect to the VPN from an Ubuntu client? Preferably 10.04. Since you are using an Android client it is possible that some something is not configured correctly.

What indications do you have that the VPN connection is successful? From your description, it sounds like it is not. The Android device might still be using its own Internet gateway, instead of the VPN to access the Internet. If it was using the VPN gateway, you would be able to ping other devices on the LAN.

Run ifconfig on the client to see the results.

I suspect that the server VPN logs will show you the failed connection. Check the timestamps to see if you can locate the failure. I don't know much about Android, but there should be a client log somewhere on the device.

This is an obvious point, but there are a few VPN protocols. Make sure that you are using an OpenVPN client. If it is using one of the other VPN protocols then it won't work.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, but it's on the server that i can't connect to my router 192.168.0.1

I'm not concerned about the android client just yet, just want to make sure that I can access my router from my server machine, which is running 11.11

I will have another ubuntu client to test with next week, but right now, just want to make sure the server is set up correctly.

Where do i find the server side logs?

Thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast