Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 and Compiz Enhanced Zoom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 and Compiz Enhanced Zoom

Thank you, okmat. That was the solution. Now it works great. Just have to wait until I can zoom in on Unity panels, so I can test out Unity. But I am so glad to have a smooth magnification experience again!
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Beans
    Distro

For anyone else experiencing this problem (assuming you have Compiz Config Settings Manager (CCSM) installed on your system), just do the following:

1. Open up CCSM.

2. Go to the Utility section (which is an option found on the left-hand pane of the CCSM window).

3. Open the Mouse position polling plugin settings page.

4. Set the Mouse Poll Interval to a value less than 10 (I set mine to '1', and it works flawlessly).

If your Enhanced Zoom Plugin is not already enabled, you will have to enable it and manually set the shortcut keys/mouse buttons for the Zoom In and Zoom Out settings.

NOTE: For my system, Button4 worked for scrolling up/away from me (Zoom In), and Button5 worked for scrolling down/toward me (Zoom Out).

Special thanks to okmat for pointing me to the solution. I am so glad to have a much better computing experience now.

Take care, everyone.

Beans

Thanks RKCole!

Beans
    Distro

Anytime, Raaaaay; however, the major thanks goes to okmat for posting the solution. I just gave the steps to get there. I hope that all is working smoothly for you now.

Take care.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks so much for this fix. I was wondering why Enhanced Desktop Zoom was not working smoothly. I'm a legally blind disabled male who needs magnification software to comfortably operate a computer. The Unity desktop is extremely unfriendly to people with visual disabilities. The Orca magnifier is quite buggy and the speech is hit and miss though can be useful. Happy that I came on here to see if this problem was posted which gladly I found that it was. BTW has anyone tried Vinux? Its a distro targeting people with low vision and blindness.

Beans
    Distro

Hello, startgame412.

I am glad that a solution was found for this problem as well. I, too, am a visually impaired user, and I completely rely on magnification software for any and all computer-related tasks.

I agree with you about how unfriendly Unity is. Unfortunately, the limitations and circumstances of all users are accounted for in the development of new technologies. this is very disheartening, but it is just the way it is. I was looking forward to trying out Unity, so I was quite disappointed when I found ti was not usable for me.

As far as Vinux goes, I have not really tried it, but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

In any case, I am glad that you are now more comfortably able to use your system.

Take care, and enjoy your day (morning or evening...depending on where you are).

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu 11.04 and Compiz Enhanced Zoom

Unfortunately, the solution doesn't seem to work in Ubuntu 12.04. I can set keys or mouse buttons but nothing happens when I use them. The same thing is outlined here:

http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-zoom-d...n-ubuntu-12-04

But whatever key combination I try, it does nothing.

Any ideas, anyone?

EDIT: Found another accepted solution which doesn't work here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/36751...scroll-to-zoom
    Last edited by vondummkopf; August 16th, 2012 at 06:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12