Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 and Compiz Enhanced Zoom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu 11.04 and Compiz Enhanced Zoom

Hello, everyone.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 (64-bit) this afternoon. I just enabled the Enhanced Zoom plugin for compiz, and I find that it is quite jumpy compared to Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit); it ran much more smoothly then. Is there any way that I can change this? I do not even know what could be causing this slight lag, but it is noticeable.

Also, I am using the Ubuntu classic (GNOME) desktop, as I could not zoom in on the top panel nor the launcher bar on the left in Unity, unfortunately.

Is anyone else experiencing a jumpy magnifier using eZoom, or is it just me?

Thanks for any help or input.

Take care.
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 and Compiz Enhanced Zoom

Same here. I am slightly visually impaired and I rely greatly on the wonderful enhanced zoom desktop plugin. The new version in Natty is noticeably jumpy and somewhat headache inducing.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Beans
    Distro

Hello, jschmeau.

I have not found out anything further here, and there has been no response (other than yours) on the Compiz Forums. On top of that, it seems that the Compiz Forums have been flooded with spam.

Hopefully we can figure something out. I miss the smoothness of the Enhanced Zoom plugi, and I don't really want to downgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Guys,

I have filed two bugs similar to this subject:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/786774
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/774531

However it is on their wish list, please add yourself to affects me and we can grow the number of affected users.

Most applications support zoom with ALT+CTRL and scroll with the mouse button to zoom into things.

This release has stopped me from using the Enhanced Zoom feature and I have to use a negative workaround. Which is a pain as I use it all the time. I am managing though.

Ubuntu 11.04 seems to have dropped some of its accessibility features by the way side. This is a regression in my opinion.

T
    Last edited by notlistening; May 23rd, 2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added new bug link
    Open SAPI - MS Speech in Linux: http://code.google.com/p/open-sapi/

RockboxPlayer - Open Source MP3/4 Player: http://code.google.com/p/rockboxplayer/

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, notlistening. I went to the links you provided and added myself to the affected users, as I experience the same things on my end.

This is kind of saddening, as I completely depend on the Enhanced Zoom plugin. Also, I really was looking forward to using Unity, but the plugin does not zoom in on the desktop, and not the top and bottom panels.

I don't really want to downgrade, but my quality of use is definitely diminished.

I guess it is just a waiting game now. I just wish I had programming experience and the ability to work on these bugs...or any bugs for that matter...

Beans

Hi, I'm also affected by this and would like to add myself onto the affected people list in the links notlistening posted. How do I do that?

Beans
    Distro

Hello, I managed to get a somewhat smoother zoom tweaking the Zoom Desktop plugin in CSSM (with enhanced zoom disabled). Check the attached screenshot to see if it's of any help

Bye
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Hello, Raaaaay.

In order to add yourself to the affected users, go to the links provided to notlistening, and at the top fo the page under the heading for the bug, you should see something like, "This bug affects [a given number] of users." to the right of this, there should be something which says something to the effect of "affects you". You click on this link to add yourself, but you may have to create a launchpad account if you do not already have one.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro

Hello, okmat.

I tried out the Zoom Desktop plugin. It does run quite smoothly, but it unfortunately does not scale the mouse pointer. With my limited vision, I was not able to use it successfully.

I will just have to wait until the Enhanced Zoom plugin is fixed, or whatever is causing the jumpiness.

Beans
    Distro

RKcole, as it turns out, the choppy behavior is due to the "mouse polling" plugin, use CCSM to set the mouse polling plugin to a smaller time (<10) and manually define the "zoom in" and "zoom out" in enhanced zoom:

zoom in: super + button 4
    zoom out: super + button 5

info taken from this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10847583

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast