Thread: Problems with Flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Problems with Flash.

Hey guys, I have been running into a couple of problems with flashplayer, tell me what you think.
    1) Inability to maximize videos (small): This is kind of annoying, but it does affect my enjoyment of videos. Say I load up a video on youtube and I want to maximize it, I will click the button to maximize and then the image will disappear off of the section of the window that it was on, and I will have to minimize the browser in order to view the maximized video. And often, you have to do this a bunch of times before the image actually sticks to the screen.
    2) Flash taking over my screen and requiring a reboot: This one is new, and probably the most annoying thing I have ever encountered on Linux. It's almost as though I have a few maximizes and minimizes, and once I use them up, the image freezes and does not leave my monitor. The computer's functions work fine, but I can't see anything, since the image clouds my vision. Since I don't know the ALT-F2 command for reboot, I usually have to hardboot.
    Is it ignorant of me to say that flash is really buggy with Linux or am I doing something wrong?
    I will put my computer specs down, just in case they may be the problem:
    I am using a Toshiba satellite, 1.73 GHz dual core processor. I have 2 gigs of ram and my swap partition... I think it's 972.6 MB (according to System Monitor, in the resources tab). I think I am using some intel integrated chip-set for the video.
    Any ideas?
    -DeathbyLinux
    "I only know enough to know that I don't know enough!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Problems with Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByLinux View Post
    Hey guys, I have been running into a couple of problems with flashplayer, tell me what you think.
    1) Inability to maximize videos (small): This is kind of annoying, but it does affect my enjoyment of videos. Say I load up a video on youtube and I want to maximize it, I will click the button to maximize and then the image will disappear off of the section of the window that it was on, and I will have to minimize the browser in order to view the maximized video. And often, you have to do this a bunch of times before the image actually sticks to the screen.
    2) Flash taking over my screen and requiring a reboot: This one is new, and probably the most annoying thing I have ever encountered on Linux. It's almost as though I have a few maximizes and minimizes, and once I use them up, the image freezes and does not leave my monitor. The computer's functions work fine, but I can't see anything, since the image clouds my vision. Since I don't know the ALT-F2 command for reboot, I usually have to hardboot.
    Is it ignorant of me to say that flash is really buggy with Linux or am I doing something wrong?
    I will put my computer specs down, just in case they may be the problem:
    I am using a Toshiba satellite, 1.73 GHz dual core processor. I have 2 gigs of ram and my swap partition... I think it's 972.6 MB (according to System Monitor, in the resources tab). I think I am using some intel integrated chip-set for the video.
    Any ideas?
    -DeathbyLinux
    Hi, open firefox and install flash aid and run it, that should fix your problem. It is an add-on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, open firefox and install flash aid and run it, that should fix your problem. It is an add-on.
    Make sure you get the latest version (2.1.1) from my web site:

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flash-aid

If your problems don't go away after running Flash-Aid and restarting Firefox, then check if you have the latest video driver.

The problem you described on the first item also happens to me, but only on some sites. YouTube works perfectly. However, you are correct about your assessment that flash is buggy on Linux. It sucks. You may like my extension FlashVideoReplacer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all your help, guys.
    So, let me summarize what I did.
    I installed "flash-aid-2.1.1-fx-linux.xpi", and used the wizard to activate it, I guess. After doing this, it seems flash is okay now, but I am still kind of wary of it. I am going to see how flash preforms and then close this thread.
    Again, thanks for your help.
    -DeathbyLinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I installed "flash-aid-2.1.1-fx-linux.xpi", and used the wizard to activate it, I guess. After doing this, it seems flash is okay now, but I am still kind of wary of it. I am going to see how flash preforms and then close this thread.
    -DeathbyLinux
    You are welcome. After finishing the wizard, the extension launches a script on a terminal to install flash, remove conflicting plugins and apply performance tweaks. Make sure that step was completed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

-DeathbyLinux
    Hi, I hope all goes well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To wildmanne39 and lovinglinux,
    It went very well and flash seems stable. Thank you all for fixing the ONLY thing that I hated about Linux. It works JUST as well as windows now and I have nothing to bitch about.
    -DeathbyLinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just use the flash aid plugin for firefox..

Always works like a charm

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/flash-aid/