Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good OS for Netbook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Good OS for Netbook?

I have a first generation Dell Mini 9, and it only has a 4GB HDD. Ubuntu exceeds this limit by a good amount.

The OS needs to be relatively user friendly, because I am not the only one using it...

Any ideas?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Good OS for Netbook?

I have an Asus 900 with the 4 GB ssd. I put Arch/Openbox on it (512 mb ram). It runs great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running Lubuntu 10.04 on a 4G eeePC 701 and it's snappy.

Beans

I second Arch. You can install GDM or LightDM, so the "other people" can access it.

Beans

Not 100% sure it will work with your hardware but I highly recommend Bodhi Linux. It is based on Ubuntu 10.04 and uses the enlightenment Window manager. Comes with almost no software installed by default, but enlightenment is easy to use, very light on resources and highly customizable. BTW Bodhi has a few more up to date packages here and there than Ubuntu 10.04. System Requirements :

• 300mhz i386 Processor
    • 128megs of RAM
    • 1.5g HD space

Be careful what you install and it should be well suited for your netbook.

Also of interest is Slitaz which I believe may even be lighter in resources. I have never installed Slitaz but I was impressed at running it off of a live usb. Slitaz is a bit different than Ubuntu for example has its own package manager and so on. It is based on the Open Box window manager and uses Busy Box instead of bash. At least version 1.0 stable does, the last version I played with.

Good Luck and I am sure others have different recommendations.

Good Luck.
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible. Ram Dass

Beans

running debian stable on mine with chrome experimental branch. runs great. it won't give me the option to suspend but it boots so fast i just shut it down
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

with just a 4 gig drive I would run puppy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu itself only takes up around 2.6GBs of space, so it's possible to install Ubuntu on your netbook.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans

If its the Mini 9 with an Intel Poulsbo chip, you have two options: put on PCLOS which supports it or upgrade Ubuntu to the latest kernel 2.6.39.0 which will support it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A good OS for your netbook would be one of the Peppermint OSs. Peppermint offers two choices PeppermintTwo and PeppermintICE. I use ICE on a eeePC701 and find it works brilliantly for me when combined with some web apps. The full featured version will still fit on your machine. Both have evolved from Ubuntu and offer access to the software we are used to in Synaptics.

http://peppermintos.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast