Thread: 11.04 Where are my pdf's?

Beans

11.04 Where are my pdf's?

All my downoads go into the /home/download and that is where I open them even the pdf's. But when I close out the pdf and later come back to /home/download all my pdf's are not there.
    Are they actually being saved or located somewhere else?

thanks

gumshoe

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 11.04 Where are my pdf's?

If you open a .pdf from a webpage instead of saving it , it will be gone after restart........... but if you are opening them from the downloads folder then they should stay there until you delete them .....

unless they are hidden , try clicking on "show hidden files" .... remember any file with a dot in front of the file name will be hidden.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    If you open a .pdf from a webpage instead of saving it , it will be gone after restart........... but if you are opening them from the downloads folder then they should stay there until you delete them .....

unless they are hidden , try clicking on "show hidden files" .... remember any file with a dot in front of the file name will be hidden.
    I opened them from the /download folder by double clicking and checked the box "show hidden files" and nothing came up. How would I do a search for these and find what directory they are in if they are even here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's... odd? If you definitely, absolutely, totally downloaded a physical copy to the hard drive, then it should be where you stored it. First thing you might want to do is check your recycle bin to see if it has been moved there for some reason. Otherwise, the find program might help you:

Code:
    find / -iname '<file name>'
    Notes: find is a program which will search the filesystem hierarchy from a root that you define. In this case I've suggested / as this will search your entire filesystem. If you have a big hard drive with lots of drives attached you may want to change that to /home/<your username> to search just your home directory and sub directories. The -iname switch tells find to be case insensitive to the search. The file name also needs to be in single quotes, e.g. ' ', and can contain the wild card. So, in fact, as a first try, you might want to try:

Code:
    find /home/<your username> -iname '*.pdf'
    to find all *.pdf files in your home directory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralis View Post
    That's... odd? If you definitely, absolutely, totally downloaded a physical copy to the hard drive, then it should be where you stored it. First thing you might want to do is check your recycle bin to see if it has been moved there for some reason. Otherwise, the find program might help you:

Code:
    find / -iname '<file name>'
    Notes: find is a program which will search the filesystem hierarchy from a root that you define. In this case I've suggested / as this will search your entire filesystem. If you have a big hard drive with lots of drives attached you may want to change that to /home/<your username> to search just your home directory and sub directories. The -iname switch tells find to be case insensitive to the search. The file name also needs to be in single quotes, e.g. ' ', and can contain the wild card. So, in fact, as a first try, you might want to try:

Code:
    find /home/<your username> -iname '*.pdf'
    to find all *.pdf files in your home directory.
    They are not in the system so I don't know what is going on but thanks for the advise.

gumshoe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Downloaded means clicking "Save As" instead of "Open With" when you click on the PDF to download it.
    Good luck
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corrytonapple View Post
    downloaded means clicking "save as" instead of "open with" when you click on the pdf to download it.
    Good luck
    oops!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

LOL, we all make mistakes.
    Good to see you will always have them now!
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]