Thread: Chessmaster XI, WinXP in Virtual Box, Ubuntu 10.04 host. Is it possible?

Beans

Chessmaster XI, WinXP in Virtual Box, Ubuntu 10.04 host. Is it possible?

Hi,

Is it possible to run Chessmaster XI within WinXP (guest, VirtualBox) when Ubuntu 10.04 is the host?

I managed to install Chessmaster XI, but when I try to run the game, I get an error message about "opengL32.dll" ...

I installed wined3d and the guest additions, but nothing seemed to work and trouble persisted.

Has anyone been successful running this game within Virtual Box?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Chessmaster XI, WinXP in Virtual Box, Ubuntu 10.04 host. Is it possible?

Have you ticked the Enable 3D Acceleration option on the Display settings?. You should install the Guess Additions with the 3D option enabled too.

Beans

yes, I did that, but when the game was loading it ended up showing an error message and closing.

The error message mentioned "opengL32.dll"

But I really ticked "Enable 3d Acceleration" (also 2d acceleration) and installed guest additions... I even tried running the guest additions within WinXp safe mode to make sure it would install the video options.

thanks, but the problem persists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may or may not be interested in a solution to this problem anymore, but I managed to get Chessmaster XI working by altering the cm.ini file. If you open this file and scroll down to Settings and change opengl=0 to opengl=1 Chessmaster should switch from using DirectX to OpenGL. VirtualBox seems to handle OpenGL rendering more easily.