Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Ubuntu ever be as stable as hardware tailored OS:s?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Can Ubuntu ever be as stable as hardware tailored OS:s?

You had an older Server Edition installed. Then installed a GUI on top of it. Followed by multiple release-upgrades. I don't think it's your hardware. I just think your doing it wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    You had an older Server Edition installed. Then installed a GUI on top of it. Followed by multiple release-upgrades. I don't think it's your hardware. I just think your doing it wrong.
    Seems a bit drastic perhaps but I can't see any principal error? Are there some kind of accumulation of error for each upgrade :S ? How should I be doing it? Install all over?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Believe it or not, some users find Windows incredibly unstable.

I agree that the "progress" releases of Ubuntu (like 11.04) can be a little unpolished. I recommend 10.04 Long-Term-Support if you are a stability-minded individual. Especially for a server; there is not much reason to have the "latest and greatest" in that case.
    Yes, I have certainly been pushed towards the stability inclination lately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by walt.smith1960 View Post
    Given the level of hardware vendor support compared to MS windows, I think the Linux devs do a remarkable job of providing a stable operating system.
    I couldn't agree more. I frequently bemoan the decisions which lead up to the Unity and Gnome 3 DEs, but there is choice in that regard which pleases me greatly. You don't have that with Windows - you install Win Vista or 7 and you get Aero whether you like it or not. In Linux I can name off the top of my head four different DEs that I can install whenever I like. And there are plenty more out there too, each tailored to a different user base.

As for creating a stable OS, I will always be in awe of the literally countless people who contribute daily, in order for people like me to be able to use a powerful and flexible OS that comes entirely free of charge.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you think Ubuntu is bad, you should have been around in the earlier days! I had 2 Red Hat versions, when it was still free, in the late 90s. It was a hassle to even get a Sound Blaster clone sound card working! All RPMs had to be installed from terminal, no GUIs at all.

As mentioned, even on Windows and Mac it is the hardware manufactured responsibility to provide drivers and until the Linux users make enough noise to force them to include Linux drivers, they won't. Same with software, Windows and Mac version, nothing for Linux.

I think Linux has always been considered the "operating system of geeks", if I can use that phrase, however, with the increasing ease of installation and increasing amount of users, perhaps one day the industry will wake up.

Every time you run into a problem, be sure and complain to the hardware or software company and maybe they will "sit up and take notice"!
    Athenroy,
    Classic Desktop User - Screenshot
    Linux Registered User #534875

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by worldsayshi View Post
    Yes, I have certainly been pushed towards the stability inclination lately.
    You might also take a look at Debian (this is what I run on my work computer). Debian is Ubuntu's "parent" distro and while it lacks some of Ubuntu's "pizazz" it is extremely stable.

The non-LTS Ubuntu release (such as 11.04, which introduced Unity) are used to test new technologies and some users (including myself) consider them "public betas" for the LTS releases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You might also take a look at Debian (this is what I run on my work computer). Debian is Ubuntu's "parent" distro and while it lacks some of Ubuntu's "pizazz" it is extremely stable.
    +1 if you want a os more stable then ubuntu then use debian or slackware .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bapun007 View Post
    +1 if you want a os more stable then ubuntu then use debian or slackware .
    Or basically any distro that has been out for 6 months or more. Just do updates immediately.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by worldsayshi View Post
    Seems a bit drastic perhaps but I can't see any principal error? Are there some kind of accumulation of error for each upgrade :S ? How should I be doing it? Install all over?
    What release did you start with and end up with?

I would have backed up my important files and done a fresh install of 10.04 Desktop if your brother needs a GUI. Booting into a live environment before installing to test it out a bit.

Beans

Believe it or not, some users find Windows incredibly unstable.
    That's why I'm switching to ubuntu (as soon as I can back my computer up, my dad made me promise).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast