Thread: List of broken packages

Beans

List of broken packages

Every few days I get some new packages that are broken. They have dependency issues or the configuration failed. In the most cases it's fixed within a day. But there are a lot of packages that need several days before they are fixed.

We can post these problems on launchpad but from my experience I know there is a high chance that such minor things will be overseen. I have even the experience after I posted here on natty testing some of such issues they was fixed in a few hours (maybe somebody who could fix it read it). And because these problems are very recently I thought about a thread that lists all of these problems.

I want to begin with a few broken packages:

avahi-daemon (fails on configuration)
    dbus (fails on configuration)
    libpurple0 (dependency issue)
    pidgin (dependency issue)
    Last edited by Sworddragon; May 18th, 2011 at 04:48 AM.

Beans

Re: List of broken packages

I take it that you re using Update Mangler for updates.

This really is not much of a problem if you use some actual real package management tool like apt-get, aptitude or, if you want a gui, synaptic. Synaptic will tell you the problems very easily.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Only dependency issues can be detected from apt before the package is being installed but not configuring issues.

Beans

If you have "apt-listchanges installed you get the news and update information. If you were using Debian you could install "apt-listbugs" an get all bugs against each package and their severity and effects.

Then there is the entirety of the dpkg arsenal at your disposal using apt-get, see "man dpkg".

You might also want to check the Ubuntu repo for the package "apt-dpkg-ref" in synaptic and check the description. I hope it is there. Mighty handy.
    Last edited by ranch hand; May 19th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

This are unknown bugs so these tools are useless here. This thread is just a try to enhance the speed with the packages get fixed.
    Last edited by Sworddragon; May 19th, 2011 at 02:19 AM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sworddragon View Post
    This are unknown bugs so these tools are useless here. This thread is just a try to enhance the speed with the packages get fixed.
    the only way to "enhance the speed with the packages get fixed" is to propose a fix and hope it can be commited, everything else is called noise and its useless, and worst can slow down to get a fix due to bugs comments spamming