Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Sabayon (Gentoo based)

Beans

Opinions on Sabayon (Gentoo based)

I've been thinking for a while to install this distro, it looks very nice because Portage, it's package manager, downloads the source code and compiles everything.

What do you think about this distro?, is it worth?. Talk about your experiences and what not

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Opinions on Sabayon (Gentoo based)

Used it for a bit but got pretty ticked off at the community's attitude; I was called an idiot and told to "go back to Ubuntu" for asking a question at IRC, which I eventually did. I couldn't really get answers to questions I had, so I eventually gave up trying to fix stuff and settled on other distros.

Beans

:O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!, I can't believe that!, too bad for them.... maybe that's why Ubuntu has quite a lot more users....

Beans
    Distro

That's not to say Sabayon is a bad distro, though. If you want to go for it, it's great. But, do not at all be surprised at the elitist neckbeards of the Gentoo world.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    elitist neckbeards
    Well they're nearly part of every distro, Ubuntu and Mint being the most prominent exceptions, so this shouldn't really stop you from trying Sabayon.

Beans

If your only reason for using Sabayon is to compile from source with Portage, just go ahead and try Gentoo.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by krapp View Post
    Well they're nearly part of every distro, Ubuntu and Mint being the most prominent exceptions, so this shouldn't really stop you from trying Sabayon.
    Yep, but getting help on their forums/IRC often goes nowhere, unlike these forums. I second the vote for Gentoo, though. No real need for Sabayon if you can get Gentoo up and running.

Beans

I test-drive Sabayon about once a year to see how they're doing. It is a glamorous and full-featured distribution, seems like one of the nicer KDE desktops out there. Personally I am a minimalist so I use CrunchBang as my main distro.

Beans

Sabayon is a very good distro, at least since I used it a few years ago. I loved it but moved over to Arch as I did not really see the point of their precompiled binary package system in the whole Gentoo scheme of things.

Beans
    Distro

Really liked Sabayon for the time I tried it because it ran fairly quickly once I got everything setup. Updating took forever though and KDE hogged my machine at the time. Nice distro, though.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast