View Poll Results: Your preferred online Movie streaming rental service?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zediva

1 1.92%
  • Amazon Prime

6 11.54%
  • Netflix

30 57.69%
  • Youtube

4 7.69%
  • iTunes

0 0%
  • Other commercial free service

11 21.15%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your preferred online Movie streaming rental service?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Your preferred online Movie streaming rental service?

I'm going to have to go with Amazon Prime. It's relatively cheap per year, and it's available for Linux and Android (just uses Adobe Flash plugin).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Zediva is being sued by the movie studios because of the way they bypass online streaming restrictions, by plugin DVD players to the web. Additionally, it is not accepting new registrations due to server capacity. However, it seems they are still accepting single title and 10 pack rentals.
    That is outdated news:

Well I thought with almost every major movie studio suing Zediva back in April that they would simple be shut down but it appears that Zediva carries on through a copyright Loophole

"Zediva’s offering is quite simple: new release movies that you can’t get on Amazon, Netflix or iTunes that cost $2 for a digital rental that lasts for two full weeks.... And the company says it’s perfectly legal for you to stream The Social Network or 127 Hours right now and are exiting their beta-test phase Wednesday morning....So how do they get away with it?
    Quite simply — the company literally rents you a DVD and a DVD player, with your computer, tablet or Google TV as the remote control. Unlike the other streaming movie services, Zediva doesn’t turn a movie into a file on its servers that it can serve to as many users as care to see it at once.

Instead, Zediva’s servers have DVD drives and actual DVDs. So when you rent a movie, that disc goes out of circulation until you release it back to the company, just like in one of those increasingly rare real-world video stores.

And like those video stores, Zediva doesn’t need to get permission from the studios to rent out discs, since once they buy the DVD they are free to rent it out or re-sell it, thanks to the first-sale doctrine in U.S. copyright law."
    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/03/zediva/

oh and btw I just received a Zediva invite yesterday and it is much better then Netflix
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'm going to have to go with Amazon Prime. It's relatively cheap per year, and it's available for Linux and Android (just uses Adobe Flash plugin).
    Zediva is way cheaper then Amazon Prime and available on Linux and Android as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by HappinessNow View Post
    That is outdated news:

Well I thought with almost every major movie studio suing Zediva back in April that they would simple be shut down but it appears that Zediva carries on through a copyright Loophole

"Zediva’s offering is quite simple: new release movies that you can’t get on Amazon, Netflix or iTunes that cost $2 for a digital rental that lasts for two full weeks.... And the company says it’s perfectly legal for you to stream The Social Network or 127 Hours right now and are exiting their beta-test phase Wednesday morning....So how do they get away with it?
    Quite simply — the company literally rents you a DVD and a DVD player, with your computer, tablet or Google TV as the remote control. Unlike the other streaming movie services, Zediva doesn’t turn a movie into a file on its servers that it can serve to as many users as care to see it at once.

Instead, Zediva’s servers have DVD drives and actual DVDs. So when you rent a movie, that disc goes out of circulation until you release it back to the company, just like in one of those increasingly rare real-world video stores.

And like those video stores, Zediva doesn’t need to get permission from the studios to rent out discs, since once they buy the DVD they are free to rent it out or re-sell it, thanks to the first-sale doctrine in U.S. copyright law."
    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/03/zediva/

oh and btw I just received a Zediva invite yesterday and it is much better then Netflix
    Thanks for the update. I knew about the loophole and the method they are using, but didn't know they won the legal battle. The studios must be going crazy. Good for them. Maybe they will learn the lesson. Let's hope the lobbyists don't buy a new law to stop their service.

BTW, does it work well?

Beans
    Distro

Zediva is way cheaper then Amazon Prime and available on Linux and Android as well
    Does it work outside US?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica32 View Post
    I like (and use) netflix- only problem is it refuses to work with any kind of linux. Which isn't that big of a problem cuz i just stream it to my 60 inch TV which is so much better than my 20 in. computer screen
    This will no longer be an issue once it is released in HTML5 for chromium.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Onoku View Post
    This will no longer be an issue once it is released in HTML5 for chromium.
    I know, but as of right now it is somewhat of an issue. I actualy prefer watching on my TV, cuz its bigger. But sometimes i don't feel like moving and i wish i could. Can't wait until HTML5!!!! its gonna be sweet!!!!
    THE TRUTH HAS NO AGENDA...
    "There is no "Good" or "Evil", only Power and Weakness, and those who fail to see this."- The Dark Lord

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the update. I knew about the loophole and the method they are using, but didn't know they won the legal battle. The studios must be going crazy. Good for them. Maybe they will learn the lesson. Let's hope the lobbyists don't buy a new law to stop their service.

BTW, does it work well?
    Works great, not sure if it works outside the US or not?

Beans
    Distro

Works great, not sure if it works outside the US or not?
    I wonder if they have a physical player for each user. As they explained in the article, when you select a movie the DVD media becomes unavailable to other users. But do you have to wait for DVD player spot too?

Beans
    Hidden!

I wonder if they have a physical player for each user. As they explained in the article, when you select a movie the DVD media becomes unavailable to other users. But do you have to wait for DVD player spot too?
    I have never had to wait for a DVD player...I think they limit enrollment depending on how many players they have?

I had to wait two months for an invite.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast