Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: restoring a backup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: restoring a backup

Quote Originally Posted by sami8519 View Post
    Thanks mate for the help. I have just opened the backup in it has two folders(etc and tmp). Those files are inside the etcmythtv/config.xml and mysql.txt, /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts). tmp has an empty folder mythbuntu bare.

Sorry but what is mythbuntu-bare and how to use it to backup the database? Does the database contain the recordings and livetv? I am only interested in backing up my channels and general settings and I don't know what is the simplest way to do so. Thank you.

Best regards,
    Sami
    Mythbuntu-bare is the backup and restore utility found in mythbuntu control center. I'll be pushing a fix for this later this afternoon to the mythbuntu repositories. If you have the mythbuntu-repos package you should get the update through normal updates
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am having this same issue. I added the mythbuntu repos from the deb package I found on a search and ran the updates, but same problem.

I looked at the .sql file and it's ~3 megs, which seems a little small, however looking at the file there was a lot in it. I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and did a backup through the Mybtuntu Control Center before I did a clean install.

Any idea what may be going on?

Thanks, Douglas

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
    I am having this same issue. I added the mythbuntu repos from the deb package I found on a search and ran the updates, but same problem.

I looked at the .sql file and it's ~3 megs, which seems a little small, however looking at the file there was a lot in it. I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and did a backup through the Mybtuntu Control Center before I did a clean install.

Any idea what may be going on?

Thanks, Douglas
    If you see the SQL file in there then it should be fine, as -bare uses the mythtv database backup and restore scripts.

As a workaround for restoring.
    1. Open a terminal
    2. stop mcc-backend "sudo killall mcc-backend"
    3. start mcc-backend "sudo /usr/share/mythbuntu/mcc-backend"
    4. Open MCC and restore your backup

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    It is saying it is successful, however it doesn't appear to be actually doing anything. None of my settings returned and when I made some changes then restored again, those changes didn't revert.
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    It is saying it is successful, however it doesn't appear to be actually doing anything. None of my settings returned and when I made some changes then restored again, those changes didn't revert.
    Any ideas?
    You are going to have to be a bit more specific that than. What settings. What do you mean it didn't do anything.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    You are going to have to be a bit more specific that than. What settings. What do you mean it didn't do anything.
    When I mean it didn't do anything, I mean it didn't set any of my settings (the main one being where my Videos are stored) and it lost all the Meta data for my videos.

So I set my video directory and went and loaded them all. It rebuilt the database from what I can tell completely. Looked at the videos and all the meta data was gone.

So I tried restoring again and it left the one change I made, which is where my videos are stored, and didn't change change that setting or update the meta data for my videos.

Is there anything specific I can check to see if the database is actually being updated at all when I run the restore?

Beans
    Distro

When I mean it didn't do anything, I mean it didn't set any of my settings (the main one being where my Videos are stored) and it lost all the Meta data for my videos.

So I set my video directory and went and loaded them all. It rebuilt the database from what I can tell completely. Looked at the videos and all the meta data was gone.

So I tried restoring again and it left the one change I made, which is where my videos are stored, and didn't change change that setting or update the meta data for my videos.

Is there anything specific I can check to see if the database is actually being updated at all when I run the restore?
    Hmm, yea it sounds like it skipped doing the database. Are you restoring it directly on the master backend (ie not over the network.)

Beans
    Distro

Correct, I am running it on the master backend.

Beans
    Distro

Correct, I am running it on the master backend.
    Ok, I think I found the issue. Can you do the following

Edit mythrestore.py
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/mythbuntu/bare/mythrestore.py
    Find
    Code:
    if os.path.isfile("/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend-master"):
    And change it to
    Code:
    if os.path.isdir("/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend-master"):
    Save the file then attempt the restore again.

Beans
    Distro

I am embarrassed that it has taken me so long to reply after your prompt responses, however same thing, doesn't seem to be restoring the database. I tried removing the Videos directory and clearing out all the video files by doing a rescan, restored it, and the videos directory was still empty.

Thanks,
    Douglas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast