Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome/XORG freezes when closing the laptop lid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Gnome/XORG freezes when closing the laptop lid

Gnome (or XORG, I'm not sure which name to give it) freezes up not always, but about once every 24 hours after I close the laptop's cover/lid. I know this happens when I close the lid rather than open it judging by the time the clock is locked at.

The cursor will move around on the screen, but noting will react to it in any way. Other services such as FTP and Samba still work just fine when the computer is "locked down".

Without more details to why the problem is ocurring, I have no idea what to search for or where to get started solving the problem.

I have attached the XORG logs (found in var/log) in case they are of any use. If anything else is needed, let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by IQAndreas; June 3rd, 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Solution ended up not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Gnome/XORG freezes when closing the laptop lid

Quote Originally Posted by IqAndreas View Post
    Gnome (or XORG, I'm not sure which name to give it) freezes up not always, but about once every 24 hours after I close the laptop's cover/lid. I know this happens when I close the lid rather than open it judging by the time the clock is locked at.

The cursor will move around on the screen, but noting will react to it in any way. Other services such as FTP and Samba still work just fine when the computer is "locked down".

Without more details to why the problem is ocurring, I have no idea what to search for or where to get started solving the problem.

I have attached the XORG logs (found in var/log) in case they are of any use. If anything else is needed, let me know.
    Hi, I just wanted to let you that I looked at the files that I could open and I did not see anything that would cause your problem from the files, but I am not an expert.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have this problem as well in Gnome3. The only way I could solve it was by changing the setting to 'do nothing' when lid was closed. It seems the problem comes from the 'suspend' option. Hibernate doesn't seem to do it as much. I was wondering if you got any further in your exploration of this problem, or perhaps anybody else can share some insight.

Beans
    Distro

Nope, even with the most up to date version (public release, not nightly build) I'm still having problems with it (and it's getting quite difficult to deal with all the time!

I still haven't found any way to get out of the freeze in any way other than holding down the power button and killing the computer. Is there any "magic key combination" which will restart XORG or whatever is the root of the problem?

I am able to hit the sleep button to cause the laptop to "snooze" like it would normally, but waking up from that sleep just returns me to a locked up desktop.

These problems didn't start until I upgraded to 11.04, if that helps diagnose the problem.

Beans

I'm having a similar problem. You can restart Xorg by going to your System Settings->Keyboard->Layouts->Options->Key Sequence to Kill the X Server and place a check next to ctrl+alt+backspace. Next time it locks up, just press that key combination and log back in. (Something I always enable after an install)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Halverneus View Post
    Next time it locks up, just press that key combination and log back in.
    Perfect! Thank you so much. It crashed on me just a few hours ago, and restarting it that way did the trick.

I just wish all currently running programs wouldn't have to restart as well. This is getting quite difficult. :/

Anyway, I fiddled around with the screensaver and power settings, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

One thing I have found is, time between closing and opening the lid makes no difference. It has sometimes gone 3 minutes to overnight and it's frozen, or 3 minutes to overnight and yet it remains in perfect working condition when the lid is opened.

Can anyone help sniff out the source/details of this problem so we file a proper bug report? I would be more than happy to upload log files or run nightly builds rather than release builds, or whatever it takes to get this issue solved!

Beans
    Distro

I did another Google search, since this problem is still bugging me (I'm still in Natty)

This bug seems to be just what the problem is.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/780653
    I have activated the "Lock screen when screensaver is active" to see if it will make any difference.

Just one thing I noticed (which may be coincidence) the problem is less likely to occur if on the desktop directly (every window minimized) rather than having a Window such as Chrome open. Could just be a fluke, as I have only tested it a few dozen times so far.

Beans
    Distro

Success! I have found a way to stop the freeze from occurring.

It's definitely the screensaver causing the issues. Changing the setting "Lock screen when screensaver is active" seemed to help some of the time, but the problem would still occur frequently.

The problem can be removed completely though by disabling the screensaver entirely.
    1. Disabling the screensaver
    2. Go to "System Settings > Personal > Screensaver".
    3. Uncheck "Activate screensaver when computer is idle."

The downside is, now you won't have a screensaver, but you can still set the laptop to turn off the screen if the computer is idle for too long, which creates the same effect as having the "Blank screen" as a screen saver.
    1. "Sortof" enabling the blank screensaver (which doesn't cause Gnome freezes)
    2. Go to "System Settings > Personal > Screensaver".
    3. Click the button labeled "Power management".
    4. Adjust the "Put display to sleep when idle for" setting for both the "On AC power" and "On battery power" to your liking.

Beans
    Distro

Great news is the computer has not locked up once since the update to Ubuntu 11.10, so whatever was causing the problem was fixed or no longer exists in the new release.

I have marked this thread as solved (which I have been doing to quite a few of my old threads, sorry for bringing all those old ones to the top again), but it can be closed as well if necessary (I'm not sure what the policy for solved threads is).

Beans
    Distro

I did a complete reinstall when updating to 12.04 and I'm afraid the problem is back; even though 12.04 doesn't have the classic style screen savers (but it does still use "gnome-screensaver" which is most likely where the problem is at.

I set the post as "unsolved" again, but I did find an official bug report for this problem. It's quite old, but I hope it will be fixed eventually.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/762918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast