Thread: Ubuntu server login

Beans

Ubuntu server login

I have download and burnt iso to my USB and installed ubuntu-12.04.1-server-amd64 in my machines. Installation went successfully when I hit Ubuntu from the boot it ask for Login and password, login successfully but it is stuck on:

mypc@MIS-IRD:^$

Can someone please tell me how to login ubuntu? I am just stuck here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu server login

What you typed (assuming you didn't make any typos) looks like you've successfully logged in and are now seeing the command prompt. What is the system not doing that you expected it to do?

Beans

I entered user id and password then a login msg is appearing and in the bottom i am seeing this

mypc@MIS-IRD:^$

I am logged in but i dont know how to see my desktop? I just want to see the GUI desktop. Istead of this msg mypc@MIS-IRD:^$ after login

Beans

I am just seeing console however i logged in with user id and password and this is appearing after login mypc@MIS-IRD:^$

how can i proceed further step to view the gui desktop?

Beans

You installed ubuntu-12.04.1-server-amd64 - there is no GUI desktop

If you want a GUI then your easiest option at this point is probably to go back and install the regular desktop iso - else you will need to add the whole ubuntu-desktop package + dependencies on top of what you have

Beans

Thank you so much for the kind help, I am windows server user. I have decided to install windows server along with cloud computing, we are having small office. The main purpose of server will be controlling internet traffic and file sharing in real time as cloud computing do. Can you please help me which server package should i download for the gui? I am totally newbie on ubuntu. I just googled and figure out that ubuntu is good one for server along with gui. Kindly help me ....

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you prefer the GUI, then as Steeldriver says, you should install Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop version. You'll might have to add some extra packages to it, as I'm not exactly sure what's in server that's not in Desktop. It's really easy to add packages if you need, though.

If you don't mind not having a GUI (which I think is nice as it reduces OS bulk and speeds things up), then stick with what you have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi

as has already been mentioned Ubuntu server comes without any GUI whatsoever in order to boost performance but you can install unity by running

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    startx
    or you could just install the desktop version of ubuntu which will come with a GUI

Hope this helps!

Barry
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans

IS there still a way for the OP to install the basic GUI without all the additional desktop components? something like

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop
    maybe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you want a basic desktop I'd recommend trying lxde, it's very lightweight but if you only need basic functionality it should do the job.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    Barry
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3