Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions: Changes and Additional Packages to be made for the next Ubuntu release

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Suggestions: Changes and Additional Packages to be made for the next Ubuntu relea

Quote Originally Posted by vehemoth View Post
    Right click make to make a tarball into a .deb
    I know it has ppa and all that but sometimes this would just be easier.
    giftwrap does it via GUI.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Re: Suggestions: Changes and Additional Packages to be made for the next Ubuntu relea

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    giftwrap does it via GUI.
    Looks promising, hope to see it in the next version of Ubuntu, especially if it has a menu when you right click a tarball.
    "I don't have a problem with someone using their talents to become successful, I just don't think the highest calling is success." - Richard Stallman
    sudo apt-get mail
    package not found

Beans

A lot of stuff could be added...

For example ***WARNING: RANDOM AND POSSIBLY STUPID IDEAS AHEAD!***

- A netinstall version of Ubuntu could be added as one of the ISO's in the main downloads page.

- In the proposed netinstall, why not put default application groups like Ubuntu Studio has? (Examples: Developers, Digital Artists, etc.)

- Or just allow us to choose our own applications from a group, like SuseStudio does, except during the hopefully to-be-added netinstall.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vehemoth View Post
    Looks promising, hope to see it in the next version of Ubuntu, especially if it has a menu when you right click a tarball.
    It doesn't have a right-click. It also does not search for deps on the make, so if it fails, usually you're missing a depends for making the DEB.

GiftWrap cannot make clean either: https://bugs.launchpad.net/giftwrap/+bug/485320
    Last edited by Lucradia; May 17th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    Good luck finding anything with no bugs.
    Of course they can make it perfect. If microsoft can, ubuntu will.

Beans

Brainstorming is really nice here...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Remove shotwell, and put GIMP back in.
    Replacing Shotwell with what? GIMP isn't a photo manager.
    'And all we ever were, just zeros and ones'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Remove Empathy, put Pidgin back in, the indicator applet now accepts pidgin. (Only reason why Ubuntu doesn't want Pidgin back is because the devs won't use encryption: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PlainTextPasswords, until someone does it for them. Also, see the list (which includes Windows Live Messenger 2011) of IM Clients that don't actually use encryption.)
    There's also that whole thing with video chat, which it happily supports through a growing number of protocols ;)

Empathy / Telepathy has a better architecture for Ubuntu's social desktop idea, since Empathy is strictly a buddy list (and it could definitely be replaced by a prettier buddy list). Your actual connections are handled by Telepathy, which is a separate service that everything which wants instant messaging type stuff can plug into. (Folks is using this for a global contacts list). Someone suggested actually renaming Empathy to reflect what it is, and I really hope that happens.

I don't remember plain text passwords being a major issue, with the reason being that Firefox is just as bad. I think desktop operating systems (and software) really don't take this seriously enough. In Ubuntu we have this wonderful system for putting passwords under a secure password store (a system Windows lacks (no it doesn't!)), and we're happy with Firefox totally ignoring it and now thinking about shipping Thunderbird which also totally ignores it. End users kind of make the assumption that the operating system will do the right thing with their personal data, but as soon as a malicious user gains access, every scrap of personal information is fair game.

So, uh, my wish: keep Evolution where it is (3.2 has some pretty mockups that might actually happen. I'm excited!) and convince Firefox to use the native password store like Chromium does :)
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; May 18th, 2011 at 01:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    I definitely think all of the Elementary stuff should be brought in, too (Postler, Dexter, etc.).
    Sure, as soon as they're out of the 0.1.1 versions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I think that Audacity should be installed by default. Tons of people use it and it's a great program. Also BleachBit. Very useful and should definitely be a default program.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast