Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting help from a Core i5 2410M owner to do luks benchmark on 2.6.38 kernel

User4519 Guest

Question Requesting help from a Core i5 2410M owner to do luks benchmark on 2.6.38 kernel

Hi

I have a request for anyone out there who may be fortunate enough to sit on a Sandy Bridge Core i5 2410M-based laptop and running Natty - or any other OS for that matter, so long as it's based on Linux 2.6.38 (because that's when LUKS became SMP aware).

I'm looking to but a new laptop soon and I'm torn between an ASUS U36SD and a Lenovo T420s. Specs-wise the Lenovo is a sure winner, but in terms of looks (and price) the ASUS comes out on top.

The main problem with the ASUS one, though, is the i5 2410M processor, which happens to be the only 2nd gen i5 that is missing both virtualization extensions, and most importantly the AES-NI extension which provides an extreme boost in AES based encryption and decryption. Which comes in very handy, as I always encrypt the hard drive on my laptops. Hardware is hardware, and sad to loose, but if there's one thing my insurance can't compensate me for, it's identity theft and the loss of my own and my customers' private data.

So - still being quite hot on the U36SD I decided to Google for someone having done benchmarks of LUKS on the 2410M processor. I couldn't find that specifically, but I did find this more generic post,

http://blog.wpkg.org/2009/04/23/ciph...dm-crypt-luks/

In which is a link to this benchmarking script, which I just ran on my puny Core 2 ULV processor (not as bad as I expected, really):

http://www.holtznet.de/luks/cryptobench.sh

My hope is that someone with an i5 2410M will run this script (if possible with AC power and on batteries), and paste the resulting output here? I'm wondering if the 2410M without AES-NI is still powerful enough to support full throughput from my Vertex 2 SSD even while encrypted.

With hopes and thanks in advance,
    Daniel

User4519 Guest

Re: Requesting help from a Core i5 2410M owner to do luks benchmark on 2.6.38 kernel

Sorry to resort to this, but... Bumpetybump?

User4519 Guest

Re: Requesting help from a Core i5 2410M owner to do luks benchmark on 2.6.38 kernel

Yeah, sorry, bumping it once more... The laptop is soon to be released...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm the midst of doing my first researches into buying a laptop especially for linux, and discussions like these are really helpful.

User4519 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldmankit View Post
    I'm the midst of doing my first researches into buying a laptop especially for linux, and discussions like these are really helpful.
    Well, in case oldmankit isn't just being sarcastic, I feel obliged to give this one final BUMP, and then I'll leave the thread to die if no-one replies.

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies for the constant bumping.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBuus View Post
    Well, in case oldmankit isn't just being sarcastic, I feel obliged to give this one final BUMP, and then I'll leave the thread to die if no-one replies.

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies for the constant bumping.
    well i'm running windows so can't run your script, but i have a 2410m and currently ecrypting my drive with truecrypt. the simulation run showed 240-250MB/sec mean speed, maybe that will help you to decide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by e-Tiggy View Post
    well i'm running windows so can't run your script, but i have a 2410m and currently ecrypting my drive with truecrypt. the simulation run showed 240-250MB/sec mean speed, maybe that will help you to decide.
    and thats at 100%, all cores turbo boosted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i have an i5 sandy bridge laptop, bought a couple of weeks ago. But 3d graphics don't work so no games. Most other things work although it has crashed a few times. Hopefully it will be fixed eventually.

User4519 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by e-Tiggy View Post
    and thats at 100%, all cores turbo boosted.
    Hi e-Tiggy!

Thanks for that! Even though that's not Linux, it's definitely useful info. ~250 MB/s is full throttle on my SSD, and I don't see how it could possible be slower in Linux.

Thank you for the info!

Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did a BIOS update on my Fujitsu LH531 with Core i5-2410M processor, and suddenly, I have AES-NI instructions enabled!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast