Thread: Compare graphics cards?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Compare graphics cards?

Hiya i've got a NOVATECH GFFORCE 6200 256MB AGP card lying around. I wondered if it will make any difference if i put in the new PC which currently has a intel r g965 express chipset? Which is the better one?

Beans

Re: Compare graphics cards?

Intel graphic cards are the worst in my opinion, and NVidia are the best ones, so, stay with it

Keep in mind that NVidia is a linux-friend and makes its own driver, and community has its own driver too, called Nouveau.

I would stay with GeForce.

Beans
    Distro

thats what i thought, but i didnt want to put the AGP card in the new PC, if the onboard graphics was a lot better. I bought the AGP card in 2008.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by BlouBlou View Post
    Keep in mind that NVidia is a linux-friend and makes its own driver, and community has its own driver too, called Nouveau.
    @BlouBlou, this is a very strange statement. Nvidia make their own proprietary driver for Linux, it is true, but provide no information for the open source nouveau team, which has to do all its development itself. Intel, on the other hand, work with the FOSS community and the driver for Intel graphics cards is open source. Also compare nvidia's stance with ATI/AMD. ATI provide a proprietary driver for Linux, but they also work with the FOSS community to develop the open-source ati driver for ATI cards. Which is why the ati driver is generally more developed than the nouveau one. How then is nvidia more of a friend to Linux than ATI/AMD or Intel?

Quote Originally Posted by meddyuk View Post
    thats what i thought, but i didnt want to put the AGP card in the new PC, if the onboard graphics was a lot better. I bought the AGP card in 2008.
    @meddyuk, that nvidia chipset is elderly. It dates back to well before 2008. Have you tried Ubuntu with the onboard Intel graphics? Although you will have a separate GPU with the nvidia, you might find that the Intel graphics is quite enough for your needs. It will certainly support 3d-compiz for Unity.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

...but i didnt want to put the AGP card in the new PC,

Your new computer has an AGP slot?

Beans
    Distro

I open up appearances on this new pc and i do not get the option for desktop effects with the intel chipset. is it worth installing the old nvidia card which i know allows desktop effects. I wan the awn dock

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I open up appearances on this new pc and i do not get the option for desktop effects with the intel chipset.
    I see you are running 11.04/Natty. That option has been removed from the appearances window but that doesn't mean that you are not getting desktop effects. You get desktop effects with Intel graphics but with Natty there are different ways of going about it.

There's an easy way to check if you are getting desktop effects. Open a terminal and move it over another window or a desktop icon. Is it semi-transparent? If yes, you have the ability to have desktop effects. In fact, terminal transparency is a desktop effect.

Second question. Are you getting the Unity desktop? If yes, you are getting desktop effects because Unity is a compiz plugin. If you want more effects install the package compizconfig-settings-manager but do not try to enable the desktop cube. You will break your desktop in Natty if you do. Or, rather, if you want to enable the desktop cube, post back and I'll give you a link.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

i want the awn dock with the elegant glass theme. i do get the icons down the left on unity so should be alright.

Beans
    Distro

Got it sorted went in and changed from Gnome to Compiz and i've got it how i want it.