Thread: Why is Apache running so many processes? Excessive RAM here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Why is Apache running so many processes? Excessive RAM here?

I notice Apache is running multiple processes on my LAMP server (ubuntu 10.10). I'm just running a Wordpress site with MySQL as a database. It seems like www-data is running apache2 more than it should (using too much memory too), am I correct:

Code:
       ID        Owner        Size        Command   
        31200     www-data     251236 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        20678     www-data     250948 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        25781     www-data     248888 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        31045     www-data     248844 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        19926     www-data     246480 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        20749     www-data     239380 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        32616     www-data     238632 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        8846     mysql     238128 kB     /usr/sbin/mysqld
        24178     www-data     234228 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        32618     www-data     232344 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        32615     www-data     232204 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
        19805     root     208156 kB     /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why is Apache running so many processes? Excessive RAM here?

The number of concurrent listeners is controlled by various directives in the httpd.conf file. Take a look at things like "StartServers".

That said, the listeners largely use shared memory components. Each individual child process doesn't use much unique memory of its own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MaxSpareServers

Take a look at StartServers, MaxSpareServers and MinSpareServers. By changing those, you can adjust the number of processes Apache uses.
    The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm... thanks. I'll try tweaking those settings -- I'm worried about running out of memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Some of that memory is shared (that one running as root forks itself to create the other www-data processes, but the actual memory isn't copied unless modified), so it's overreported, but I'm used to seeing it report about 25mb per process, rather than 250mb.

I do have doubts that webmin is reporting to correct size. If you run "ps -A v", the RSS column should have the amount of memory (in kb) actually being used (though still not subtracting shared memory). If webmin is reporting the DRS size instead, that would inflate the results considerably.

Edit/Add:
    Yeah, it appears to be misreported. I don't have webmin installed to test, but looking at sysv-lib.pl in webmin's "Running Processes" module, it's using the "VSZ" output from ps, which is comparable to the "DRS". To give an example of how off that is, on my own system with 4gb total, 3gb free, and no swap used, RSS from all processes adds up to 980mb, while VSZ from all processes adds up to over 13gb.
    Last edited by dtfinch; May 14th, 2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dtfinch View Post
    Some of that memory is shared (that one running as root forks itself to create the other www-data processes, but the actual memory isn't copied unless modified), so it's overreported, but I'm used to seeing it report about 25mb per process, rather than 250mb.

I do have doubts that webmin is reporting to correct size. If you run "ps -A v", the RSS column should have the amount of memory (in kb) actually being used (though still not subtracting shared memory). If webmin is reporting the DRS size instead, that would inflate the results considerably.

Edit/Add:
    Yeah, it appears to be misreported. I don't have webmin installed to test, but looking at sysv-lib.pl in webmin's "Running Processes" module, it's using the "VSZ" output from ps, which is comparable to the "DRS". To give an example of how off that is, on my own system with 4gb total, 3gb free, and no swap used, RSS from all processes adds up to 980mb, while VSZ from all processes adds up to over 13gb.
    Wow! Thanks for looking into that and providing such a detailed response. I was worried about massive memory overallocation to Apache but you've solved that. Very interesting to hear the difference between the two outputs -- I could definitely see others being confused by this as well.

Thanks again, have a great weekend!