Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

I think you should reinstall.
    Or at least try with a live CD if you haven't already done so. (if you have a cable connection with DHCP you shouldn't have to setup anything)

If it still doesn't work, I would start suspecting a hardware problem or a problem with your network (filter, firewall, proxy or hardware problem at router or higher level(ISP?) or faulty cables, antenna).

The best way to check if it's a hardware issue would probably be to try to connect with another PC or with another OS installed (Windows for instance)

But your installation definitely looks broken if "ifconfig" doesn't return anything!
    Maybe try "ifconfig -a" just in case, but I doubt it will be much different.
    (although it could be that ifconfig returns nothing if the interfaces file is empty... O.o)
    Last edited by KIAaze; May 25th, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by KIAaze View Post
    I think you should reinstall.
    Or at least try with a live CD if you haven't already done so. (if you have a cable connection with DHCP you shouldn't have to setup anything)

If it still doesn't work, I would start suspecting a hardware problem or a problem with your network (filter, firewall, proxy or hardware problem at router or higher level(ISP?) or faulty cables, antenna).

The best way to check if it's a hardware issue would probably be to try to connect with another PC or with another OS installed (Windows for instance)

But your installation definitely looks broken if "ifconfig" doesn't return anything!
    Maybe try "ifconfig -a" just in case, but I doubt it will be much different.
    (although it could be that ifconfig returns nothing if the interfaces file is empty... O.o)
    I tried Hotmail and other websites through the live CD. To no avail. Seems like the problem lies somewhere else.

Should I give Linux Mint a try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In the terminal type:
    Code:
    ping hotmail.com
    replacing hotmail.com with the one which you cant access. Now your computer will try to see if the server responds to your request.. If it's successful you might see something like this:
    Code:
    PING hotmail.com (65.55.72.167) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from origin.sn133w.snt133.mail.live.com (65.55.72.167): icmp_seq=1 ttl=240 time=615 ms
    64 bytes from origin.sn133w.snt133.mail.live.com (65.55.72.167): icmp_seq=2 ttl=240 time=639 ms
    64 bytes from origin.sn133w.snt133.mail.live.com (65.55.72.167): icmp_seq=3 ttl=240 time=615 ms
    Press Ctrl+C to stop, otherwise it'll go on for a long time.
    And if its unsuccessful, it means that the ISP is at fault. Unsuccessful attempts look like this:
    Code:
    ping: unknown host hotmail.com
    Just paste the results here and I'll see what can be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    Yes. Although I doubt it will change much.
    And if you can, try with another PC. You could ask a friend who has a laptop for example.

What about the router? Do you have your own? The router is the box you connect your cable to normally and where you configure your wireless settings.
    You can usually access its control panel by entering something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 in your browser.
    You'll also need a password, which should have been given to you with the router. Otherwise you can google the router model to check for a default password. As a last resort, you can also reset the router by pressing a reset button somewhere on it.

Once you have access to the router control panel, you can check to see if it's correctly configured for your ISP and if it uses any firewall.
    Last edited by KIAaze; May 26th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jre6 View Post
    In the terminal type:
    Code:
    ping hotmail.com
    replacing hotmail.com with the one which you cant access. Now your computer will try to see if the server responds to your request.. If it's successful you might see something like this:
    Code:
    PING hotmail.com (65.55.72.167) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from origin.sn133w.snt133.mail.live.com (65.55.72.167): icmp_seq=1 ttl=240 time=615 ms
    64 bytes from origin.sn133w.snt133.mail.live.com (65.55.72.167): icmp_seq=2 ttl=240 time=639 ms
    64 bytes from origin.sn133w.snt133.mail.live.com (65.55.72.167): icmp_seq=3 ttl=240 time=615 ms
    Press Ctrl+C to stop, otherwise it'll go on for a long time.
    And if its unsuccessful, it means that the ISP is at fault. Unsuccessful attempts look like this:
    Code:
    ping: unknown host hotmail.com
    Just paste the results here and I'll see what can be done.
    I can access Aljazeera and here is what I get when I ping the website:

Ping Aljazeera.png

Hotmail is one of the sites I can't access and here is what I get on trying to ping it:

Ping Hotmail.png

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KIAaze View Post
    Code:
    Yes. Although I doubt it will change much.
    And if you can, try with another PC. You could ask a friend who has a laptop for example.

What about the router? Do you have your own? The router is the box you connect your cable to normally and where you configure your wireless settings.
    You can usually access its control panel by entering something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 in your browser.
    You'll also need a password, which should have been given to you with the router. Otherwise you can google the router model to check for a default password. As a last resort, you can also reset the router by pressing a reset button somewhere on it.

Once you have access to the router control panel, you can check to see if it's correctly configured for your ISP and if it uses any firewall.
    I CANNOT TURN ON the firewall.

And do router and modem refer to the same thing ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DemianDemerzel View Post
    I CANNOT TURN ON the firewall.

And do router and modem refer to the same thing ?
    No: http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...em-and-router/

But both might be in the same box.

According to your ping output, it strongly suggests that you have a firewall somewhere, because you can access Aljazeera over port 80 (http), but don't get any answer to your ping requests (port 5813).

It could be that the https port (443) is blocked, in which case any website using it will be blocked.
    hotmail.com does redirect to https automatically for instance...

You could probe your ports with https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 if you want (it uses https ironically :/ ).

I think netstat and nmap might also allow you to check your network, but I don't really know how to use them.

The only thing that bothers me is that you said that you had no problems with Windows. So unless the firewall/ISP filters by OS as well... 0.o

Port number reference (for when you want to configure your firewall. But now you should first figure out how to turn it off.):
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
    Last edited by KIAaze; May 26th, 2011 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Important:
    If you plan to reset your router (i.e. use the button which resets everything to factory settings, not the buttons which turns it off and on again), make sure you have all the configuration data from your ISP first, as well as the default password of your router!

It's really better to try to find the password first.

Beans
    Hidden!

Could you post a screenshot of the terminal you are using?
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jtarin View Post
    Could you post a screenshot of the terminal you are using?
    How to do that? Should I shoot a photograph of my modem?

================================================== ==========================

Besides, I reinstalled the whole system twice today. No improvement.

I am downloading Fedora 15. If things don't change for the better in Fedora, I'm afraid I will have to switch to Windows.

I just want to thank you all for your kind support. You did all you could to help me out but it seems I am too dumb to follow even the simplest of instructions.

I have started reading more on operating systems and how computers work in general. Once I have some basic knowledge about computers, operating systems and the internet, I will come back again to trouble you with my annoying questions.

Thanks again.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast