Thread: Issue w/ Headphone Jack Not Recognised.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Issue w/ Headphone Jack Not Recognised.

Hello and thanks for reading my thread,
    I have recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5138 laptop running windows 7 (removed) and I have installed Linux Mint 10.10 gnome. I am having an issue with the headphone jack as it is not recognised by the system. I get sound from the internal speakers. This is no issue with the hardware. I have run the Alsamixer v1.0.23 in terminal it looks like this:

Screenshot.png

Any solutions/suggestions will be appreciated! I thank you for your time.

Beans

Re: Issue w/ Headphone Jack Not Recognised.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinJCan View Post
    Hello and thanks for reading my thread,
    I have recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5138 laptop running windows 7 (removed) and I have installed Linux Mint 10.10 gnome. I am having an issue with the headphone jack as it is not recognised by the system. I get sound from the internal speakers. This is no issue with the hardware. I have run the Alsamixer v1.0.23 in terminal it looks like this:

Screenshot.png

Any solutions/suggestions will be appreciated! I thank you for your time.

hello i also face the problem in 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you have an intel chipset try this:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Add this line at the end: options snd-hda-intel model=eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix=1

Save, restart.

I've had to do this in pretty much every distro since around when ubuntu 8.04 was released. May also be similar fixes for other chipsets.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Issue w/ Headphone Jack Not Recognised.

I am tempted to put "Toshiba Tech Support" on blast as they should be called "Windows OS Tech Support." I told the "Tech Support" I had changed my operating system from Window 7 to Linux Mint and the guy was mystified.
    <--I can imagine him doing this at his desk.

...I guess I should get to the point. I am assuming that I have an AMD chipset as I have an AMD processor. Anyone with the ubuntu to aide me in these music-less times is a god!
    Last edited by DevinJCan; May 13th, 2011 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tech support only supports the OS that comes with the machine, it makes sense. Pretty much every company will do this.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Issue w/ Headphone Jack Not Recognised.

Last edited by DevinJCan; May 14th, 2011 at 07:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post Re: Issue w/ Headphone Jack Not Recognised.

I know very little about code. I get that it is the magic that makes things work. Would anyone consider it bad form to choose, say,
    "options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad"
    over "options snd-hda-intel model=eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix=1"
    "options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad" is working for me now,
    "options snd-hda-intel model=eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix=1"
    seems like a more legitimate code. does this make sense to anyone?

I am going to try "options snd-hda-intel model=eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix=1" and follow up here with what I encounter.

Thank you everyone for aiding me through this learning process. I am enjoying it. It was a cool and gratifying moment when I plugged my external speakers in and they worked! 1,000 thank yous!

_ok, The " =eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix1 " did not work for me. so much for how the code looks: if it works keep it, am I right?
    Last edited by DevinJCan; May 14th, 2011 at 07:24 AM.