Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stopping Ubuntu from booting ANYTHING GUI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Stopping Ubuntu from booting ANYTHING GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    Syndacate: Maybe Bug #755148 is relevant?
    I don't think so.

Two reasons:
    1) That frame rate is dropping, he said he couldn't get it past 1k - mine's at 8500 in glxgears, it's just slow as hell anyway.
    2) I'm pretty sure I'm using compiz

Though if you read the above...I think the problem is fixed.. I think just relying on glxgears and flash as I was was a combination of two factors that I was using to determine whether it was on the built-in driver or not failing.

I'd still like to know why glxgears is slow as **** despite its supposed 8500 frame rate, but I think everything else is good, most of the flash issues can be attributed to gnash, which I didn't realize was enabled.

I'd like to say my windows are a bit glitchy when I drag them fast...but that may just be a placebo of me over-analyzing them now.

I'm not sure what the problems are anymore, or if I even have any besides glxgears not working...?

Perhaps the newer version of xorg or OGL's GLX interface is performing poorly?
    I don't believe in bad operating systems, simply that certain operating systems are better at doing certain things.

Beans

Glxgears isn't a good way to test graphics

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glx...ot_a_Benchmark

What kind of graphics card do you have? Have you tried gnome classic without effects, you can choose it after inputting your name and before you password at login. How does it perform compared to unity. Unity runs horribly on my netbook, but gnome classic is ok, and openbox is fast.

I'm not sure what version of adobe you have installed, but the beta version has video acceleration enabled and it has problems with it, check the file (if it's there), and disable it.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/adobe/mms.cfg           # and set to 1 to 0, 
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    Last edited by whitethorn; August 1st, 2011 at 09:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by whitethorn View Post
    Glxgears isn't a good way to test graphics

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glx...ot_a_Benchmark
    I'm not trying to use it as a benchmark, either. I simply stated that it runs like dog-****, when typically with the nvidia drivers installed, it's completely smooth. I simply put the FPS there because at how ****** it's running, .5 FPS would be a more accurate rating.

What kind of graphics card do you have?
    A GTX-280 overclocked from the factory...I doubt it's going to have issues rendering the DE.

Have you tried gnome classic without effects, you can choose it after inputting your name and before you password at login. How does it perform compared to unity. Unity runs horribly on my netbook, but gnome classic is ok, and openbox is fast.
    I haven't tried Gnome classic, no, but honestly, without sounding pompous, if my GTX-280 OC'ed can't run unity smoothly, then they messed up....bad...I'm not running a netbook here.

I'm not sure what version of adobe you have installed, but the beta version has video acceleration enabled and it has problems with it, check the file (if it's there), and disable it.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/adobe/mms.cfg           # and set to 1 to 0, 
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    Doesn't exist. Should I add it?

I'm considering going Gnome 3 (not for this reason), but I hear you can't go back, really, so I'm not sure if it'll be much of a problem, anymore. Though I def. feel the UI ran smoother in 10.10...though it may just be Unity vs Gnome. Either way, GLX running like crap is annoying me, because I don't know the reason.
    I don't believe in bad operating systems, simply that certain operating systems are better at doing certain things.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234