Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NVidia Quadro 1000M (ThinkPad W520)

Beans

Re: NVidia Quadro 1000M (ThinkPad W520)

Quote Originally Posted by VValdo View Post
    (ha- I just realized I'm running w/o any xorg.conf AT ALL... must be using defaults.) Can someone who's got the integrated gpu working w/that stuff be so good as to post:

BIOS settings
    xorg.conf

Or, if someone knows how to get nvidia's driver going w/o these volume/brightness headaches, I'd appreciate the above as well..

thanks!

W
    +1. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sentraser165 View Post
    +1. Thanks!
    Heh. I think you're going to be happy.

Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-current
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-settings
    sudo reboot
    Discussion:

I noticed in /var/log/Xorg.0.log that GLX was failing because it was trying to load the nvidia driver still- suggesting to me that some sort of autodetect when I first installed the OS (with default BIOS) told xorg to use nvidia for GLX. Meanwhile I'm using the intel driver... so there was a failure I guess.

SO... I figured I'd forcibly remove everything nvidia (although not nvidia-common) and see what would happen. And now it works. I have drop shadows and animations and everything using the integrated intel driver.

The result is that not only do I have GLX w/drop shadows and animations, but this horrendous subliminal flicker I was experiencing that made my eyes hurt is also GONE.

This will be my solution until such a time as the nvidia driver doesn't interfere with changing the volume and brightness.

Incidentally, for anyone who may be reading in the future, no xorg.conf is needed in /etc/X11 to fix this.

W
    Last edited by VValdo; June 13th, 2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: just some clarity

Beans

Also, if you're experiencing a stuttering system, try this:

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/module/i915/parameters/semaphores
    as root. Just another tip i found. hopefully this will be fixed in a newer kernel...

Beans

Hey Y'all!

Anyone had the chance to check out the new binaries form NVIDIA? (275.9.7)
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

I don't have a working online connection at home so I can't check if it fixed my main issues; beeing choppy fullscreen playback on websites as vimeo and youtube (after resume from suspend)

What I did to install successfully(?) breaks down to this:
    1. hit Ctrl+Alt+F1
    2. sudo tellinit 3
    3. sudo dpgk -r nvidia-current
    4. sudo chmod -x NVIDIA[TAB].bin
    5. sudo ./NVIDIA[TAB].bin
    6. Follow onscreen directions.

I messed up a few times forgetting to uninstall the old drivers and had some errors linking to old so's, but just continued hitting ok until it (the driver installation) finished and ran it again.

Please let me know if any of you gain some knowledge using this new driver.

-Daniel

PS! Perhaps the "owner" of this thread should remove the [SOLVED] brackets?
    Last edited by apetrynet; June 15th, 2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Just a comment

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VValdo View Post
    Also, if you're experiencing a stuttering system, try this:

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/module/i915/parameters/semaphores
    as root. Just another tip i found. hopefully this will be fixed in a newer kernel...
    On my machine (lenovo w520.. doh) there is no /sys/module/i915/parameters/semaphores. Is this a 32bit thing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apetrynet View Post
    On my machine (lenovo w520.. doh) there is no /sys/module/i915/parameters/semaphores. Is this a 32bit thing?
    No I have a w520 as well.. you're running 64-bit ubuntu natty? Kernel is:

Linux laptop 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

Hey!

Yes, i'm running 64bit Natty.
    I don't have my machine with me now and I'm without net in my home at the moment so I can't post my uname -a

Did you create this semaphore file or is it supposed to be there?
    I'm currently using the newest NVIDIA binary (275.9.7) manually installed. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

=D

Beans

It was there already... after my system crashed (?) last night (it was blank and really hot this morning) I'm looking into a newer kernel. Trying this one... so far it works well/fast but no wireless so I'm looking into that.

Beans

Hey!
    Finally got internet at home again!

No improvement using the newest driver so I reverted to the nvidia-current. Still can't find the /sys/module/i915 folder or any semaphores file anywhere on my machine.
    I have the exact same kernel as you had VValdo.
    uname -a: 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Anyone else have trouble finding this file or with choppy fullscreen playback on vimeo (after suspend)??

-D

Beans

There's a newer kernel on apt-get.. My guess is that if you use .39 the stuttering will be fixed...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast