Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: NVidia Quadro 1000M (ThinkPad W520)

Beans

Re: NVidia Quadro 1000M (ThinkPad W520)

Quote Originally Posted by VValdo View Post
    There's a newer kernel on apt-get.. My guess is that if you use .39 the stuttering will be fixed...
    Tried apt-get upgrade but no kernel update. How do I get a hold of this?

Thanks!

I did a quick search and found it. Works like a charm!! Thank you so much!
    Followed this link: http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-...l-to-2-6-39-0/

-Daniel
    Last edited by apetrynet; June 17th, 2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Beacuse I'm a lazy slob..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Has anyone been able to get the W520 to boot with the proprietary nvidia driver WITHOUT disabling ACPI (kernel parameter "acpi=off")? If so, can you share your recipe?

I am running kernel 2.6.39-0 and nvidia driver 270.41.19 (not the latest), and the machine runs fine with acpi=off. However, with ACPI disabled the kernel also shuts down all but one CPU core (yuck). Maybe there's some other way around that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gatman3 View Post
    Has anyone been able to get the W520 to boot with the proprietary nvidia driver WITHOUT disabling ACPI (kernel parameter "acpi=off")? If so, can you share your recipe?

I am running kernel 2.6.39-0 and nvidia driver 270.41.19 (not the latest), and the machine runs fine with acpi=off. However, with ACPI disabled the kernel also shuts down all but one CPU core (yuck). Maybe there's some other way around that?
    Hey!

My charming laptop running bleeding edge kernel turned out to be a dud.. again.
    Fed up with this problem I installed 10.10. This is the certified version of ubuntu for the w520 after all. What a difference! It's so much more snappy. I ran into a few hicukps, but all of them are now solved (I hope..)

First I had to fix suspend with this link: http://jr0cket.blogspot.com/2010/10/...d-bug-fix.html

Then two finger scroll with this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603657

Then the return of choppy video after suspend fixed with this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1632254&page=2

I know it's not the best indicator, but glxgears: 51309 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10261.796 FPS
    In Natty i barely got 5k

Good luck!
    -Daniel

Beans
    Distro

Daniel - Thanks for the info and especially the prompt reply. You've given me some hope. I'll give the 10.10 release a shot plus the workarounds you cited. Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that "ubuntu certified" listing for the W520 with 10.10. I should have remembered that; for some reason I guess we always think the latest is the best. Oh well, I'll post my results in a few days. Regards - Greg

Beans

Your very welcome Greg!

I think the reason I went for Natty was the bumblebee (Optimus support on linux) project. It only ran on Natty I think. It turned out not quite doing it for me though. The image quality wasn't that great and the performance was limited. It's a great tool if you mostly run less gpu intensive stuff.

I'll continue checking the development, but am really happy with 10.10 Nvidia only setup. I still get a decent battery life.

Hope you'll enjoy your machine soon,
    -Daniel

Beans

I'm still sticking with 11.04 but -- and this is with Integrated Intel driver -- I'm getting lockups about once a day.

I do hope this isn't a hardware issue. Can anyone else confirm?

natty 11.04

Linux laptop 2.6.39-0-generic #5~20110427-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 27 15:27:41 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4ubuntu7.1

Beans
    Distro

VValdo, I was getting occasional lockups too, maybe once per day.

However, I seem to have solved my problems today. The magic recipe is... running 32-bit Ubuntu, plus updating the BIOS to version 1.25. Sad, but true, the 32-bit version runs beautifully while 64-bit is a disaster. I pretty much blew my whole day today trying out the 64-bit versions of Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 (again), and with no success at all. 10.10 was especially bad for me, so I'm completely baffled as to why apetrynet (Daniel) has had such good success with it. Of course, I didn't try it after the BIOS update, so maybe he has a newer BIOS? In any case, with 10.10 the install quietly died in the middle which I didn't realize until my first boot, then it hung the first time I booted it up, I finally got it booted and then I had 2 or 3 software update/reboot cycles, then it seemed to work OK with integrated graphics but switching to nvidia really screwed it up. Lots of times it would boot and sit there giving me a flashing cursor forever. Eventually I got it booted, somehow, and it ran super unbelievably slow. I finally gave up.

Then I checked out the BIOS updates on the Lenovo web page. Turns out my machine was several BIOS updates behind from the factory. The newest BIOS (at the time I'm writing this) is version 1.25 released on 16-June-2011. It's a bit hard to find on Lenovo's web page, so here's the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS018887

and here's the changelog:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...s/8buj05uc.txt

The changelog lists several interesting items, such as these from the 1.24 update:

- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer might not be booted from the hard
    disk with Linux installed if there was no active partition there.
    - (Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer with large-capacity memory installed
    might fail to resume normal operation from standby/sleep state.
    (The update process is a bit terrifying, by the way. You burn a CD with their .iso image, boot to it, then get past several terrifying warning pages about not unplugging the machine or removing the CD during the update. Then you start the update and it just sits for like 6 or 8 minutes, occasionally hitting the CD drive, occasionally just sitting like it's hung. Finally you get a really weird message directing you to either reboot with the CD in to complete the process or, optionally, remove the CD and start up normally. Huh? I left the CD in, rebooted and it briefly showed a message that it was finishing the update, then it booted up normally. Really scary, but it worked. Proceed at your own risk).

However, after simply updating the BIOS my 64-bit install of 11.04 still didn't work. In fact, something about the BIOS update broke my NVidia boot altogether, and now it would just hang after logging in (I use KDE).

Then I installed Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit. All I can say, is that everything just works. I have had to do no hacks. Suspend works without the hack that apetrynet cited. The open-source Nouveau driver works. The NVidia proprietary driver works. Everything just works.

I'm happy now.

Beans

Hmm.. That's a great tale-- thanks and congrats on getting it working.

I've got the .24 firmware and running 64-bit linux and the ONLY problem I'm having is this 1ce a day freeze. Well, that and bluetooht always turning on when I boot but that's fixable.

I'm running integrated driver... I haven't had the freeze in > 24 hours so I'm gonna wait one kernel/driver revision ccle and see if that fixes anything... if not... I dunno what to do... I'm really not looking forward to having to reinstall...

Beans

Just wanted to shoot in that my BIOS version is OOooollld! 1.21 dated 03/30/2011. Even though the words "never change a winning team" repeats in my head, I can feel the tingeling sensation of wanting to upgrade my BIOS.
    hmmm. I'll let you know if I do.

-D

Beans
    Distro

Update from my side... After three days running 32-bit 11.04 everything is still running great with a couple minor exceptions. I have noticed that I am seeing the problem with stuttering video playback after suspend. I tried the workaround at the link that you cited, but it didn't work for me. Not that big of a deal to me, but I gotta strive for perfection.

The only other quirk I've seen is that when I'm running the proprietary nvidia graphics with dual monitors, the KDE desktop effects (compiz?) get disabled whenever the monitors power down due to inactivity. When I get some time I'll look for a workaround for that.

Otherwise it's working great.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast