Thread: easiest, simplest video editor?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool easiest, simplest video editor?

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can suggest a simple video editor for me?
    I just want something that I can take recorded TV shows, snip off the beginning and end, and take out the ads.

The editors I've looked at so far have lots of extra functions and are very complex to learn.

I just want something I can quickly open a .mpg file, snip snip snip, then save it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: easiest, simplest video editor?

I'd suggest starting with Pitivi or Openshot. Pitivi is probably the simplest of the two, and is included in Ubuntu by default.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stoogiebuncho View Post
    I'd suggest starting with Pitivi or Openshot. Pitivi is probably the simplest of the two, and is included in Ubuntu by default.
    +1, just don't bother with its advance features.

Also have a look at avidemux - quite simple and straightforward, especially for avi and mpg files. I think you may like it over pitivi for its simplicity. It's in the default repositories.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    +1, just don't bother with its advance features.

Also have a look at avidemux - quite simple and straightforward, especially for avi and mpg files. I think you may like it over pitivi for its simplicity. It's in the default repositories.
    Avidemux is fine for full file transcoding but has problems with audio getting out of sync when cutting vids. This is addressed in version 2.6 which can be downloaded from the avidemux website but it is still experimental.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LOL - that's exactly what I found - avidemux caused the audio to get out of sync.

I tried Pitivi but it just locked up as soon as I loaded a file.

Openshot looks ok so far, I'll give it a bit more of a test tonight.

Beans

I'm trying out ubuntu with the DVD disk and while I've only tried one video editor with ubuntu, I was very impressed with the installation of openshot. Also, there are several videos on youtube to give you a feel.

What impressed me most was while I had to do an extra step to get flash to run with firefox and I'm still unable to get wmv files to work with firefox, this was not necessary with openshot. With a fresh boot of the ubuntu DVD and installing openshot from the software center, every type of video file that I've tried, flv, wma, wmv has worked straight off.

It would be nice if openshot would have shared this ability to deal with the various file types with firefox, but I guess things don't work that way. (I see a comment on the wmv thread that might resolve this - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844239)

I've only experimented a little, but to be able to run a video editor with the DVD and not have it act like it wants to take over my PC is amazing.

Note to self: remember to unmute the sound which for some unknow reason is the default (bug?) with the classic interface.

Great experience so far with openshot. Haven't tried any of the others.