Thread: memory problem

Beans

memory problem

hey i created a 26 gig partition for ubuntu but in my home folder it says a only have like 83 mb of free space. so i can't really add music or anything to my computer. please help thanks.
    sony vaio p series. 60 gig hard drrive. ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: memory problem

doesn't sound right. are you getting a warning about disk space when you boot up?

if not open a terminal and enter the command df and see what that says.

Beans

yeah ii get that message some times and theres nothing for me to delete.
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0 2765720 2482980 142248 95% /
    none 1018292 672 1017620 1% /dev
    none 1024896 276 1024620 1% /dev/shm
    none 1024896 104 1024792 1% /var/run
    none 1024896 0 1024896 0% /var/lock
    /dev/sda3 25110524 3863868 21246656 16% /host
    but thats what it says

Beans
    Hidden!

yep, you used it up.

download bleachbit if you can and follow the instructions and run it

if your lucky,that will free up one or two gig

its in the software center

Beans

Exclamation Re: memory problem

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    yep, you used it up.

download bleachbit if you can and follow the instructions and run it

if your lucky,that will free up one or two gig

its in the software center
    I've used bleachbit 3 times now, as root, and it fails to remove much of anything, even after 20 minutes of waiting. It also seems that every time I delete anything More memory gets used. My cpu is a consistant 100% for both. What else can I do?
    Last edited by tink2520; May 15th, 2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling error

Beans
    Hidden!

ok, those warnings were there for a reason. some actions take a loooong time. no sudo this time. open bleachbit as user and just check everything that does not give you a warning box. once is enough

Beans

Oh I most definitely heed those warnings and only used sudo the last go round. I've learned my lesson about not erring on the conservative side. I think my real problem is a faulty hard drive that is spamming itself to an early grave. It seems it wasn't just bleachbit having erratic responses but any program, default or otherwise, seemed to have the same issues. Some confirmed deletion while the packages were obviously still there and others just gave up while issuing odd warnings about a random circumstance.
    I was using these programs to try and extend what little life she has left but it seems a replacement is needed asap. I want to back up all my configurations and programs and recently tried backintime and it seemed t be doing well until the end when it only saved partials of some files and zero for others. And my memory is filling up faster than I can delete (maybe delete) them. And with the cpu at 100% almost consistently it is hard to accomplish even the most mundane tasks. I will be receiving a new dell laptop within a few weeks and I want to have an exact replica of my current laptop. What can I do to quickly free upor add to my memory so I can get everything I need before it finally self destructs?
    I seem to behaving difficulty compressing files as well, so it makes it hard to transfer to a usb or cd. I also dont have a live cd because it was an install from a friend, who as it figures, is currently unavailable to solve all these issues for me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated and would keep me from helping her into an earlier demise.

Beans

ALso it seems that xorg seems to be running away with itself which seems to be a big part of the memory issue as well as speed. 2nd runner up is gnome..I think they are having a race because if its nt one its the other.

Beans
    Hidden!

wow, forget bleachbit. can you get someone to burn you a cd ?

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

i guess worst case would be to take it to a shop

EDIT some one with a high speed internet
    Last edited by jerrrys; May 15th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.