Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine and Netflix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wine and Netflix

Has anybody gotten Netflix to run in a Browser under Wine?
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wine and Netflix

nope. at this point, Netflix on linux is close to impossible. we can probably write the code to do it, but to do so would be highly illegal.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    nope. at this point, Netflix on linux is close to impossible. we can probably write the code to do it, but to do so would be highly illegal.
    The problem is with Sliverlight from MS. It will not load under Wine. I really feel MS has something in the install code to prevent this from happening. Of course it is not open source so we will never know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    The problem is with Sliverlight from MS. It will not load under Wine. I really feel MS has something in the install code to prevent this from happening. Of course it is not open source so we will never know.
    Most likely because Silverlight needs functions of the Windows API of which Wine can't do, but that is just my guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by _outlawed_ View Post
    Most likely because Silverlight needs functions of the Windows API of which Wine can't do, but that is just my guess.
    And probably a very good guess.
    Windows programmer have been known to do this. I played around with windows program developing for awhile, (but never got to serious with it). Using Windows API does cut down on code and it is a practice to do this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey, I haven't checked out netflix but if it relies on Silverlight can you guys confirm it won't work using http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight directly in a Linux based browser?
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by robsoles View Post
    Hey, I haven't checked out netflix but if it relies on Silverlight can you guys confirm it won't work using http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight directly in a Linux based browser?
    No matter what browser you use in Linux you will get this message even with moonlight installed.
    Screenshot.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a Roko box running Linux and they are licensed to use code to run Netflix. There has been many articles out on this problem with Netflix. I guess the only what we can get Netflix to support us Linux users is to boycott them. The only problem is I like Netflix and so do many others.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a Roko box running Linux and they are licensed to use code to run Netflix. There has been many articles out on this problem with Netflix. I guess the only what we can get Netflix to support us Linux users is to boycott them. The only problem is I like Netflix and so do many others.
    the issue at hand is the licensing on the DRM layer. moonlight has the ability to implement most of the silverlight runtime, because MS licensed it (and the associated patents) freely, but the components that silverlight uses to decrypt a protected stream are closed-source, and restrictively licensed. Roku and Boxee both purchase a hardware decoder from a licensed manufacture, or so I have been lead to believe.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No matter what browser you use in Linux you will get this message even with moonlight installed.
    Screenshot.png
    That could be netflix rather than Microsoft doing that. Please post me a link to a netflix video (seriously, don't make me google for it ) and I will have a look at changing my user-agent string in Firefox and see if I can trick their system into starting the stream for me - if I can I will describe how I do it.

Ps: I understand that the original topic and intent of this thread is to do it in WINE using Silverlight etc but I see this as a more likely alternative
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast