Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some reasons to try Arch?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Some reasons to try Arch?

Pondering trying out Arch linux at some point.

What sort of advantages are there, compared to 'buntu ?
    What sort of things might not be as nice ?

Obviously these may be subjective but if I wasn't wanting opinion, I wouldn't ask on a forum

For what it's worth, I intend to run KDE. I have an Nvidia G100 video card, 4 gigs RAM and a 2.something ghz dual core.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Some reasons to try Arch?

Arch can cure cancer when set up properly.

In all seriousness, I don't see much difference between Ubuntu and Arch once you subtract their ideological components, aside from the later being one of the so-called rolling distributions (which is totally useless if you break your install, as you'd have to re-install). I doubt there would be much difference between a minimal Ubuntu install and an Arch install using the same kernel and drivers. Both have large repositories, Ubuntu because it has Canonical and Debian in the background, Arch because its users are very busy porting the latest software. I think it just boils down to Arch being geared toward tinkerers, whereas Ubuntu increasingly discourages tinkering. Archfans love professing their KISS ideology, which has always struck me as bizarre considering how much time they spend customizing their installs, sometimes in the most abstruse and esoteric manners. Which amounts to a fine learning experience, to be sure, but not necessarily a more efficient or productive computing environment than that of a more stable or user-friendly distribution.

tl;dr: Use Arch if you want to post in the Arch forums, and be part of a very active tinkering community. I'm sure you'd learn a lot about Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krapp View Post
    Archfans love professing their KISS ideology, which has always struck me as bizarre considering how much time they spend customizing their installs, sometimes in the most abstruse and esoteric manners.
    This doesn't refer to the rock band, right? Could someone please explain what a
    KISS ideology means in this context?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    It means Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Beans

In all seriousness, I don't see much difference between Ubuntu and Arch once you subtract their ideological components, aside from the later being one of the so-called rolling distributions (which is totally useless if you break your install, as you'd have to re-install). I doubt there would be much difference between a minimal Ubuntu install and an Arch install using the same kernel and drivers. Both have large repositories, Ubuntu because it has Canonical and Debian in the background, Arch because its users are very busy porting the latest software. I think it just boils down to Arch being geared toward tinkerers, whereas Ubuntu increasingly discourages tinkering. Archfans love professing their KISS ideology, which has always struck me as bizarre considering how much time they spend customizing their installs, sometimes in the most abstruse and esoteric manners. Which amounts to a fine learning experience, to be sure, but not necessarily a more efficient or productive computing environment than that of a more stable or user-friendly distribution.

tl;dr: Use Arch if you want to post in the Arch forums, and be part of a very active tinkering community. I'm sure you'd learn a lot about Linux.
    Your user name is exactly what you talk
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    "Keep it simple stupid" is what it means so they say in both Arch/Slackware circles
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually "Krapp" is a Germanic last name. Not mine, but that's neither here nor there.

What do you take issue with in my post? The OP asked for opinion.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I hope your a reader because there is a lot of that involved. Arch can't be anymore easily customizable. It's a lot of fun. You can definitely learn a lot of the mechanics of Linux installing it.

Just make sure you download the Arch base install and build it yourself. Stay away from the spins. If your going to try something new install Openbox with some Lxde applications.

I have an Asus 900 eeepc with Arch/Openbox which has an internal 4GB ssd, 900MGZ processor and 512 MB of ram and it out preforms my desktops.

Beans

Actually "Krapp" is a Germanic last name. Not mine, but that's neither here nor there.

What do you take issue with in my post? The OP asked for opinion.
    I love your post you cracked a joke so I cracked one back? no offence meant personally to you.
    Its everything I'd expect from a Linux user and yes I use Arch and I don't tinker and certainly have never had to reinstall in 4 years I have 4 comps all with different desktops all arch they don't break if set up correctly and I make a good living using mine, So thats one myth totally shattered is it not. I also used to use Ubuntu and still test every version when it is released but its always out of date in a couple of days Arch is never out of date no testing stuff that does not work just the latest stable vanilla applications with out the bloat and sluggishness of some distros take gnome3 + shell runs perfecto on Arch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    It means Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Ah, I see. LOL! I also see what Krapp meant, I hear Arch isn't for beginners.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast