Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: how to make ubuntu the default os when booting in dualboot machine ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!

    how to make ubuntu the default os when booting in dualboot machine ?

    hi guys,
    i have ubuntu 10.10 installed in dualboot with win7 on a asus 1201n netbook.
    the first os in the first black screen boot menu is win7, which means that it is the default os to boot if i don't use the arrow down to ubuntu.
    well, i had enough experience with ubuntu to decide that i want to defaultly boot into ubuntu.
    does anybody know how i change it ?
    [there is no menu.lst file in 10.10, so i didn't find the way to do it]

    waiting for your reply,
    thanks ahead,
    doron387

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,906
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: how to make ubuntu the default os when booting in dualboot machine ?

    Quote Originally Posted by doron387 View Post
    hi guys,
    i have ubuntu 10.10 installed in dualboot with win7 on a asus 1201n netbook.
    the first os in the first black screen boot menu is win7, which means that it is the default os to boot if i don't use the arrow down to ubuntu.
    well, i had enough experience with ubuntu to decide that i want to defaultly boot into ubuntu.
    does anybody know how i change it ?
    [there is no menu.lst file in 10.10, so i didn't find the way to do it]

    waiting for your reply,
    thanks ahead,
    doron387
    I this a wubi install or a regular dual boot?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    8,259
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: how to make ubuntu the default os when booting in dualboot machine ?

    You can installed something called Grub Customizer. Search for grub-customizer in the Ubuntu Software Centre. That will let you set the boot order among other things. Or Startup Manager.

    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: how to make ubuntu the default os when booting in dualboot machine ?

    Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    I this a wubi install or a regular dual boot?
    +1 or easybcd,
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; May 10th, 2011 at 07:44 PM.





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: how to make ubuntu the default os when booting in dualboot machine ?

    well thanks to you both.
    i have rebooted to my win7 os, because i thought that i remembered a software called EasyBCD 2.0 that i once used for this purpose.
    i wasn't wrong.
    in EasyBCD 2.0 in win7 i changed it within 2 seconds.
    so thanks a lot for your replies.
    consider it as SOLVED

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: how to make ubuntu the default os when booting in dualboot machine ?

    Quote Originally Posted by doron387 View Post
    well thanks to you both.
    i have rebooted to my win7 os, because i thought that i remembered a software called EasyBCD 2.0 that i once used for this purpose.
    i wasn't wrong.
    in EasyBCD 2.0 in win7 i changed it within 2 seconds.
    so thanks a lot for your replies.
    consider it as SOLVED
    Excellent that is the best choice for changing the MS boot menu, if you don't want to do it manually.

    You might want to be aware that the wubi, I think you have can be moved to a partition at some point if you so desire.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •