Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transfering Ubuntu to a new PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Transfering Ubuntu to a new PC

I'm wondering if it's worth cloning the new PC hard drive with this Ubuntu and then re-installing Vista inside Virtual box?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by meddyuk View Post
    I'm wondering if it's worth cloning the new PC hard drive with this Ubuntu and then re-installing Vista inside Virtual box?
    You can clone it the Ubuntu and if you have enough HD space on the new drive to make a partition for the Ubuntu clone equal or larger then the original and just slip it in. You just need to shrink the Vista.
    http://clonezilla.org/

Personally I never do a backups I clone it, and keep those images and all the stuff I can't loose on a external HD.

You can clone the vista as well after you shrink or and /or before this and do the same, and have your self covered there as well.

Beans
    Distro

Ok ive decided to use GParted to reduce the Vista partition. I've also used Clonezilla to make an image of my current Ubuntu machine. The intention is then to clone the unallocated partition on the new machine.

Do i have to fomat the unallocated partition to ext 3/4 before doing this or will clonezilla give me the option to clone the unallocated partition?

Beans
    Distro

Ok ive decided to use GParted to reduce the Vista partition. I've also used Clonezilla to make an image of my current Ubuntu machine. The intention is then to clone the unallocated partition on the new machine.

Do i have to fomat the unallocated partition to ext 3/4 before doing this or will clonezilla give me the option to clone the unallocated partition?
    You make a partition of the same type same size or larger, and it will load the mbr as well so once your image is in boot to it and run.
    sudo update-grub
    to pick up the Vista and add it to the grub menu.

Beans
    Distro

what about the swap partition will that go over as well?

Beans
    Distro

well that didnt work. I initially had 3 partitions on the drive, sda1, sda2(recovery) sda 3 (vista). I used gparted to reduce sda3, then i allocated the rest of the drive to ext3. I used clonezilla to restore the image on sda3 but when i went to reboot, i had a warning, saying there wasn't anything to boot.

I'm now reinstalling vista. im thinking of just booting from the live ubuntu cd and dual booting that way

Beans
    Distro

what about the swap partition will that go over as well?
    I would have saved only the partitions needed. The swap is a delete and create when needed. I'm not sure here I have never done a full HD save then slipped it into another in a dual boot. I suspect that if you build the exact same set up in the new HD that clonezilla will install exactly as it was cloned.

In the future you might only save partitions, that have a OS or data, that is what do, but I change the OS on my computer often, but I havent done it the way you have whicj=h probably works fine.

The cool thing about back ups is that you can copy and paste them into another folder and have a back up of your back up.

Beans
    Distro

well that didnt work. I initially had 3 partitions on the drive, sda1, sda2(recovery) sda 3 (vista). I used gparted to reduce sda3, then i allocated the rest of the drive to ext3. I used clonezilla to restore the image on sda3 but when i went to reboot, i had a warning, saying there wasn't anything to boot.

I'm now reinstalling vista. im thinking of just booting from the live ubuntu cd and dual booting that way
    You had 3 partitions with vista, you could only add one more primary or a extended which could hold as many logical's you could fit in.

It sounds like you may have either made 5 partitions or don't understand the loading of the mbr. If you have it still in place the transfer follow theses instructions so if fixable we can do it.

So from a booted live Ubuntu cd, thumbdrive, or Ubuntu installation lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the (#) in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

There is a good reason why I suggested cloning everything, if you have clones of everything and the Ubuntu still in place on the first HD, you just need to slip the vista in if detroyed and just clone the partion the UBuntu is in and get on the same page here.

Post the bootscript though if you have the broken HD with everything still in place.

Beans
    Distro

Just had a search for my original ubuntu ISO and only managed to find the netbook iso. I dont suppose i can install this one can i? Looks like i may have to put this project on hold until i download the desktop iso.

Beans
    Distro

Right, im not giving up! Everytime i clone just the partion i lose the abilitly to boot into ubuntu.

If i clone the full disk am i then able to just restore it to the partition. Any step by steps would be usefull.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast