Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezes when launching LibreOffice/virtualBox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry Freezes when launching LibreOffice/virtualBox?

Hello, I'm a total nub when it comes to Linux stuff, recently I got the urge to try Ubuntu.
    After 3 days of configuring stuff and mofying it to my liking, pretty much in OS heaven, Ubuntu started freezing; I first noticed it when launching libreOffice Writer, the splash screen comes up and then the whole desktop freezes, I can only move the mouse around. it also freezes randomly and when launching virtualBox, I haven't tested other than that. what did I do wrong

I've only installed a bunch of themes, conpiz stuff, gimp, mediaplayers, messengers and the cairo dock. I use Ubuntu classic.
    I also have problems with my wacom tablets but that's for another thread, I guess.

I would appreciate any help. thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Freezes when launching LibreOffice/virtualBox?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWingedPegasus View Post
    Hello, I'm a total nub when it comes to Linux stuff, recently I got the urge to try Ubuntu.
    After 3 days of configuring stuff and mofying it to my liking, pretty much in OS heaven, Ubuntu started freezing; I first noticed it when launching libreOffice Writer, the splash screen comes up and then the whole desktop freezes, I can only move the mouse around. it also freezes randomly and when launching virtualBox, I haven't tested other than that. what did I do wrong

I've only installed a bunch of themes, conpiz stuff, gimp, mediaplayers, messengers and the cairo dock. I use Ubuntu classic.
    I also have problems with my wacom tablets but that's for another thread, I guess.

I would appreciate any help. thanks.
    Hi, are you using natty? compiz can mess up natty. Also what video card do you have? This information will help us help you.

Beans
    Distro

Oh hi, I was just about to hit the hay ^^ I have a xfx Radeon hd 4850. let ubuntu install the drivers and everything.
    The compiz config panel was one of the first things I installed and didn't have a problem till much later.

Beans
    Distro

Nobody want to help this gal out? I still have this problem I don't want to throw Ubuntu away.

Beans
    Distro

If any of your virtual machines in VirtualBox is allocated to much ram, this can lead to poor performance, and possibly the error you describe. Which settings have you tweaked in CompizConfig?

Beans
    Distro

Also are you using the newest Ubuntu installation (11.04 natty narwhal), the previous installation (10.10), or the LTS installation (10.04)? These each behave VERY differently when interacting with compiz.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by astex View Post
    If any of your virtual machines in VirtualBox is allocated to much ram, this can lead to poor performance, and possibly the error you describe. Which settings have you tweaked in CompizConfig?
    I'm not using VirtualBox at all, Ubuntu freezes as soon as I launch the program doesn't even go into the window. also, I have 4gb of ram.

I've enabled the cube and the rotation, also tweaked some genie effects.

I'm using 11.04 on Ubuntu classic. updated through the terminal and all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Disable Compiz and see how it behaves. If it keeps crashing then we know Compiz is not the problem. It it stops Compiz you just solved your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by OneWingedPegasus View Post
    I'm not using VirtualBox at all, Ubuntu freezes as soon as I launch the program doesn't even go into the window. also, I have 4gb of ram.

I've enabled the cube and the rotation, also tweaked some genie effects.

I'm using 11.04 on Ubuntu classic. updated through the terminal and all.
    I had the same problem, if you will run unity --reset in a terminal and let it run a couple of minutes and dont worry about the errors it will fix unity after a couple of minutes reboot and everything should be fine.The cube does not work in unity with out some major tweaking.

Beans
    Distro

@chrisod
    I don't know how to disable compiz completely. but I disabled the cube and still crashed.

@wildmanne39
    I ran that command and it didn't finish executing it, it ran for about an hour till Ubuntu froze again, and I wasn't doing anything but dragging a window.

I'm going to try executing it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast