Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making EVERYTHING of Compiz + Emerald work on Xubuntu 11.04

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Making EVERYTHING of Compiz + Emerald work on Xubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by yetiman64 View Post
    I suggest you install fusion-icon as well and create a startup up entry for it. It is an easy means of reloading the Window Manager when things get hung while changing settings etc, or for generally managing compiz.

I am afraid the fusion-icon is broken for Compiz 0.9.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    I am afraid the fusion-icon is broken for Compiz 0.9.
    What do you mean by "broken" (dependencies etc ?) and do you have a link to any info for what you are saying beew ?

I have Compiz "installed version 1:0.9.4+bzr20110415-0ubuntu2: + Fusion-icon "installed version 0.1.0-2ubuntu1" here.
    This is with a Natty minimal install (22 MB - 64 bit) and the command,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    to set up the system. Edit: just a note, the minimal cd was for a command line only installation of Natty.

I installed all the drivers (nvidia) /codecs and such for a multimedia system then installed compiz and fusion icon and both are working fine. Fusion icon let me seemlessly switch between compiz and Xfwm4 (set up first), this was using the GTK Window Decorator for both WMs.

Obviously this is not a standard means of installing and I noted that to RallyDarkstrike earlier, I have only just finished burning the standard Xubuntu live cd (64 bit) and am about to reinstall a more standard setup. Will let you know how it goes. Please link some info if you can , I won't be too surprised if i hit a that way. Regards from yetiman64.
    Last edited by yetiman64; June 14th, 2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: spelling + clarification

Beans

What do you mean by "broken" (dependencies etc ?) and do you have a link to any info for what you are saying beew ?

I have Compiz "installed version 1:0.9.4+bzr20110415-0ubuntu2: + Fusion-icon "installed version 0.1.0-2ubuntu1" here.
    This is with a Natty minimal install (22 MB - 64 bit) and the command,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    to set up the system. Edit: just a note, the minimal cd was for a command line only installation of Natty.

I installed all the drivers (nvidia) /codecs and such for a multimedia system then installed compiz and fusion icon and both are working fine. Fusion icon let me seemlessly switch between compiz and Xfwm4 (set up first), this was using the GTK Window Decorator for both WMs.

Obviously this is not a standard means of installing and I noted that to RallyDarkstrike earlier, I have only just finished burning the standard Xubuntu live cd (64 bit) and am about to reinstall a more standard setup. Will let you know how it goes. Please link some info if you can , I won't be too surprised if i hit a that way. Regards from yetiman64.
    I read a while ago that the fusion icon was broken in Compiz 0.9 but I haven't tried it myself, so maybe they fixed it or I was just getting wrong info. Glad it is working for you.

Anyway, I installed Compiz 0.86 using the ppa in this link (It is for Ubuntu but everything works in Xubuntu as expected)

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-t...iz-086-in.html

The instruction is unnecessarily complicated. Don't need to remove Compiz, just add the ppa and do a normal update in Synaptic would do , since the 0.86 packages in the ppa were renamed to 2.086 which is a higher version than 0.9 in Natty (1.09), so updating will override the default version.

Since there is no Unity in xubuntu anyway there is no catch in using 0.86 (in Ubuntu that would remove Unity) but I can installed other experimental plugins that no longer work in 0.9
    http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/11/s...le-compiz.html

The fusion icon would likely work too, though I haven't installed it since I probably don't need it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok I understand the situation now, thanks . I've done a full install now from the live cd and got compiz and fusion icon working fine. Am noting some strangeness with the panel workplace switcher from xfwm4 when used at the same time as the compiz viewport switcher. They like to fight and things can disappear and magically reappear later when least expected . Everything else works fine.

I tried the emerald instructions here with no luck at all, then tried the repo version as well and failed, I've given up on emerald unfortunately. Couldn't get any windows decorations to work with it so will stay with the gtk decorator.

Will look into those links, particularly the experimental ones later on. I'm working on a few things that are likely to break this install as is, so won't push my luck too far at the moment .

Cheers, yetiman64.

Beans

I tried the emerald instructions here with no luck at all, then tried the repo version as well and failed, I've given up on emerald unfortunately. Couldn't get any windows decorations to work with it so will stay with the gtk decorator.

I haven't looked at the instructions here, but I have been able to install emerald in Natty (Unity) since beta with the help of the forum (special thanks to mc4man)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1702253

It should work in Xubuntu as well, but haven't tried it yet.

EDITED: And oh, the experimental plugins work, at least for those that I have tried.
    Last edited by beew; June 15th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.

Beans

BTW, for those who are still interested, this is a simplified tutorial.

If you downgrade Compiz as I said in post#23 you don't need to build emerald yourself. It will work if you just install from the repository because Compiz 0.9 is what breaks it. There is no harm downgrading Compiz in Xubuntu because the only side effect is that it will get rid of Unity but Unity doesn't run in Xubuntu anyway.

so in summary:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:guido-iodice/compiz-0.8.6-natty
    sudo apt-get update
    then install Compiz and the related packages (or upgrade Compiz and related packages--which is actually downgrading,--if they are already installed, no need to remove the already installed packages like in my Webupd8 link) Then install emerald, that's it. No need to build emerald from source at all.

To make Compiz auto start go to Settings > Setting manager > Session And Startup > Applications Autostart and add an entry for Compiz. The command should simply be "/usr/bin/compiz" (without quotations) instead of "compiz --replace". "compiz --replace" loads another default window manager and then switch to Compiz. There is no point in loading another window manager since you are using Compiz anyway.
    Last edited by beew; June 18th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

thanks this thread is very useful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face Re: Making EVERYTHING of Compiz + Emerald work on Xubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frags left View Post
    [b]
    "What about the cube?"
    11.04 has decided to be nasty with this conflict between Desktop Wall and the Cube. OMG! Ubuntu made a pretty good post about it, follow it to the letter and it will work properly.

Check out a few screenshots of my PC with the ultimate eye candy:

When looking at your screenshots I realized that the desktop changing taskbar applet was still working. Even with the cube! How did you do that? Because whenever I try that in ubuntu classic it becomes one desktop and stops working (the applet).
    Last edited by charliewhizbeez; July 6th, 2011 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

I followed and instruction from the beginning and I'm able to compile (make and make install) emerald, however, I do NOT see emerald theme manager under settings. Can you give me some hints? Many thanks in advance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You may have to install compiz-fusion-icon (as described in the original post).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast