Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity on dual monitors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unity on dual monitors

I have two identical monitors at work, both running on a nice 1650x1080 resolution.

For the global menu purposes, the top-bar is showing on both of the monitors. It is understandable, as when window is open on the second screen, you would expect to have the program menu accessible also from that screen.

The problem is that the clock and the indicator area is showing up on both monitors. It is not only esthetically irritating, it is also quite confusing.

Global menu singlehandedly has ruined my Unity experience on multiple monitors and I don't have any great ideas how it could be changed in a way that will both support global menu and not take up much screen real-estate.

Any insights if this will be changed in the future?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unity on dual monitors

I agree. There is no need to duplicate all icons and menus just because there is a top panel. Also, the menu's behave as they are connected between monitors, when they shouldn't. Example in this screenshot:

Beans

someone may already have asked/answered, but is there any word on the ability to relocate the vertical panel to the rightmost monitor?
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kyleabaker View Post
    I agree. There is no need to duplicate all icons and menus just because there is a top panel. Also, the menu's behave as they are connected between monitors, when they shouldn't. Example in this screenshot:

That's a known bug.

Personally I'd like to see the ability for both panel's to be used at once: Bug #755357
    Linux User #381008
    Ubuntu User #22532

Need help with Ubuntu? Ask the experts at http://askubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro

Usability guys need to buy themselves extra monitors and test it out. I have read through the bug reports and I agree with them.

It is just very interesting, that no-one thought of the issues Unity will introduce for people with multiple monitors

I would have expected Ubuntu devs to have several big DELL screens (and a bottle of sunblock) in front of them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Does anyone know how gnome3 operates with several monitors?
    -Unity Lover-

Open-Source is a way of LIFE

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeReach View Post
    Does anyone know how gnome3 operates with several monitors?
    good question! (bump) does anyone have G3 running on multiple displays?

Beans
    Distro

Users with Gnome3 are reporting similar multi-spanning top bar issues.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...3-start-0.html

I'm simply flabbergasted that the whole development process for Unity apparently proceeded without anyone considering the ramifications for real desktop PC use, particularly for users (like me) who use Ubuntu as their primary work OS. Primary work PCs tend to be multi-monitor, and multitasking (on all displays) is a hugely important thing.

I'm starting to fear that the adoption of Unity may have significantly delayed the real corporate adoption of Ubuntu as a desktop OS. It was very close to "deployable" in 10.10, another 6 months of basic improvements (without significant UI changes) would have seen our organization rolling out Ubuntu as our standard load rather than Win7. I'm not making a joke, this was seriously our roadmap. Now, with the damage Unity has done to basic usability for business desktop use, that may never happen.
    Last edited by JPorter; May 16th, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Ubuntu 11.04 on Work PC, Thinkpad T60, Media PC, and Asus Netbook
    Admin for Ubuntu SERVER 11.04 (x3 production boxes), SERVER 10.10 (x2 production boxes), Ubuntu SERVER 10.04.2 (x3 production boxes)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JPorter View Post
    I'm simply flabbergasted that the whole development process for Unity apparently proceeded without anyone considering the ramifications for real desktop PC use, particularly for users (like me) who use Ubuntu as their primary work OS. Primary work PCs tend to be multi-monitor, and multitasking (on all displays) is a hugely important thing.
    Other than the launcher LeftOf bug (which sucks), multi monitor was extensively tested in 11.04.

On my system the global menu goes onto the panel where the application's window is, and the dual indicators is so you never have to go too far to use the indicator area.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    Other than the launcher LeftOf bug (which sucks), multi monitor was extensively tested in 11.04.

On my system the global menu goes onto the panel where the application's window is, and the dual indicators is so you never have to go too far to use the indicator area.
    Granted, but come on... a UI for desktop/business use that deletes a basic navigable menu to launch office software? The "unity button" in the top left should launch a condensed version of the Gnome2 launcher menu, instead it gives users a glorified search function and a series of huge blocky buttons that mean very little to those who aren't already familiar with what they represent.

I didn't post in this thread to complain about Unity, my apologies... it's just that it has created an ongoing issue within our organization that has frustrated me greatly. Average business desktop users find it baffling when they are first confronted with Unity. To put it simply: the fastest way to launch an application in a graphical UI should not be to search for it using the keyboard! If Canonical is going to keep Unity around, it needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY improved prior to Oneiric, and the basic "hunt and click" user paradigm restored to the minimum usability that was present in Maverick.
    Last edited by JPorter; May 16th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Ubuntu 11.04 on Work PC, Thinkpad T60, Media PC, and Asus Netbook
    Admin for Ubuntu SERVER 11.04 (x3 production boxes), SERVER 10.10 (x2 production boxes), Ubuntu SERVER 10.04.2 (x3 production boxes)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast