Thread: [ARM] Updating to Natty on Toshiba AC100

Hybrid View

Beans

[ARM] Updating to Natty on Toshiba AC100

Hi all

I am running ubuntu on the Tegra2-based Toshiba AC100, flashed to the internal eMMC (instructions: http://ac100.gudinna.com/internal/ac100-10D-16GB/) and with a 512MiB swapfile.

I really like this machine
    In accordance with the instructions linked above, I also have a bootable SD card system (far slower), where I can go in as chroot for my eMMC-flashed system if needed (depending on what people suggest).

Yesterday evening I tried to dist-upgrade to Natty but it stopped during installation/configuration at python2.7-minimal.
    This package (or python-minimal (default)) seems to be in conflict with a few other packages (unity and some other mystery packages named "ubuntu" something).

I am now at a half-updated system that spits out lots of errors while trying to load the new desktop (X starts, but basically just a purple background). I will try logging in to an alternative DE (LXDE) this evening when I get back from work.

If anyone has experience with this already and know how to get through it I would be grateful
    Last edited by staalmannen; May 10th, 2011 at 07:00 AM.

Beans

Re: [ARM] Updating to Natty on Toshiba AC100

OK I cheated and downloaded the last maverick .deb:s from my chroot environment. Apparently the problem was that I had not updated before dist-upgrade and python2.7 needed the latest python2.6 package.

I am currently updating and will give an update here if it works. If people from tosh-ac100.wetpaint.co m, kotlett.no or ac100.gudinna.com are reading these forums it might be interesting for them to know how well Natty is working on Tegra2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been interested in purchasing a Toshiba AC100-10D, but I have been holding off as there seem to be a number of serious, outstanding problems - among them no sound and no Flash. Has there been any movement on sorting out the outstanding issues? There doesn't seem to have been any new developments in the past seven months.
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would wait a while longer. The software for the AC 100 is not yet mature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cheers.
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Does anybody use the new tegra drivers and can report regarding performance, battery, video playback? Does this work fine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by casbahdk View Post
    I have been interested in purchasing a Toshiba AC100-10D, but I have been holding off as there seem to be a number of serious, outstanding problems - among them no sound and no Flash. Has there been any movement on sorting out the outstanding issues? There doesn't seem to have been any new developments in the past seven months.
    It's now 2011 and things have not changed much:
    Still audio is not workin and toshiba no longer has the ac100 amongst the products in the home page.
    Ubuntu often crashes all onboard input devices in a way that requires a reboot to put things right.
    It's unclear how much of the patches for tegra have gotten into vanilla kernel and I've been unable to download sources for the ubuntu 2.6.38 kernel for AC100.
    But you can have a number of linux distributions running on the AC100 internal flash now but appart from ubuntu all require setting up a kernel that is not shipped with distro.

The original android is really too restrictive to be of any use so this is what I've done with my AC100:
    Custom kernel and initrd (modified from ubuntu 2.6.38 image) in partition 5 (HOME + POWER) to boot ARMedslack on internal eMMC,
    Ubuntu natty on SD card booting from partition 6 (ordinary boot).
    David Rao
    Many PC's running varying degrees of custom Slackware
    Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile running Ubuntu 9.0.4

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by louigi600 View Post
    It's now 2011 and things have not changed much:
    Still audio is not workin
    here is stated that, according to which kernel you are using, most of the HW is now supported:
    http://linad.org/index.php?title=Toshiba_AC100#Issues

And here is a howto from markit to uprade to Natty:
    http://markit.dyndns.org/ac100/32/ho...e_to_natty.txt

And here is a PPA so that kernel updates etc should work.

I did not test is myself yet but most features such as HW acceleration, flash, sound, and suspend seems to work. Isn't it?
    Last edited by pibach; September 12th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pibach View Post
    I did not test is myself yet but most features such as HW acceleration, flash, sound, and suspend seems to work. Isn't it?
    Just tested the 11.10 daily rootfs : Works great apart from sound and HW acceleration.
    Last edited by freechelmi; September 19th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.