Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Threaded View

Beans

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Yeah, just make sure you're religious about doing backups. Also played with lightdm, it works fine but I missed the functionality of gdm.
    Cheers - similar and on dual monitor the last time I tried Lightdm .... it plonked itself in the middle of the two monitors .... not tried it since though so might be fixed now.

What do you use for backing up and how do you get back to where you were before it.

I tend to just keep moving forward .... but there are times when I really would like to step it back ...... but do not know how to do it successfully yet.
    are you using Back in time ?

With me having Dvd's of my 8 Gig systems they are ok using Remastersys ...... but my 350 Gig system the data is safe on a USB and duplicated ......
    (but the system programs once they are upgraded - I have never found an easy way to just downgrade back to just before the upgrade .......)

So I test most upgrades by first trying them on the small systems I have to see what may happen ..... if it kills it on the small 20 gig partitions - I just lose a small install and then clean a partition and re-install from a good remastersys backup .....

( but cannot do this once we get above around 12 Gig ..... some of my older ones are 35 Gig plus )

This looks as if it may do what I need - apt-clone but I have not tried it out yet ,,, ( another option LINK ,, )

The problem it seems is keeping the correct version .... although it records all the applications/programs .....

I need to just restore back the previous ... so how can this be achieved to cause the least problems ....
    almost need like a ghost of the main directories associated with the upgrade ....

Looked at FOG too but this is a image of the system for restoring onto other computers ...
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 9th, 2011 at 11:58 PM.