Page 100 of 177 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Other than the initial crashes due to configuring extensions I haven't had any crashes. Does that just happen in Unity? I just left Unity in the mix to be doubly sure I didn't break any dependencies. Other than installation I haven't used it so I can't verify what you're seeing. Do you think it might have something to do with the dual display?

Nope more than likely something I do ...... as I use emerald in UNITY ..... looking at this last
    log ......

syslog and kernel log .... look like this ....

Code:
    Jun  8 17:32:15 keith-MS-7181 kernel: [ 6004.309671] emerald[13329]: segfault at 0 ip 008687f6 sp bfce0098 error 4 in libdecoration.so.0.0.0[866000+7000]
    Jun  8 17:32:23 keith-MS-7181 ntpdate[13324]: adjust time server 91.189.94.4 offset 0.010353 sec
    Will try removing Emerald and see if I still get the problems ........ it was added in a few of my systems
    but the Oneiric one does the same and I did not add emerald to that one ...... if this is the problem

That sad face does my head in as it gives no clues ...... very unlike Linux ...... ( more like Windows ... )

Not emerald .....removed it ...cold boot .....and it still gives the sad face as I swap to Unity ....
    everything seems to be ok though .... other than the sad face ......

...... last log in kernel .... looks ok ..... now

Anybody know what is going on ..... or where we even start looking .... where does the sad face get
    generated from ? Oh no ! Something has gone wrong
    (its only happening here when I swap across into UNITY using UNITY --REPLACE)

Is this error just generated as a Gnome Shell errror message ? .....
    or is it system wide .... ?

By the way Gnome Shell works 100 % ....... as far as I can see .......

Do you think it might have something to do with the dual display?
    Nope this is happening on my other computer too - in a clean install of 11.10
    with the Gnome-Shell added to it from their fresh repository ( its single display on that computer ) ......

but there are no other clues ..... as far as I can see ...... a sad face is the clue .....we go from there !!!!! This could become LINUX BSOD ( Blue Smile of Death )
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 8th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've seen that picture too,I can reproduce it at will [at least I think I can].
    When I was setting my theme up,and looking for a GTK and metacity theme,I reloaded the shell frequently in a short periode of time.
    That's when I get the error message.
    If I wait a little longer before reloading the shell,it mostly doesn't appear.

But just for the fun,try reloading the shell several times in a minute and see if it happens.

As far as unity concerns,I noticed when I logged out the shell and into unity and back to the shell again,it won't work well.
    You can use the login screen,but after hitting enter,the whole screen darkens and the system seems to hang,I have to reboot through a terminal.

As I think about something you're writing, 'unity --replace' is that even possible?
    As I think gnome-shell uses gnome 3.0 packages and unity 2.3.
    So I think you have to logout and back in again to get unity working,and I think the problem I have is the same only I have to go from 2.3 to 3.0 which isn't working at all.
    Last edited by bulldog; June 8th, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: unity --replace?
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know I've heard a lot of complaints about the new compiz being problematic. But I don't think Unity will run with the old version.

Beans

But just for the fun,try reloading the shell several times in a minute and see if it happens.

As far as unity concerns,I noticed when I logged out the shell and into unity and back to the shell again,it won't work well.
    You can use the login screen,but after hitting enter,the whole screen darkens and the system seems to hang,I have to reboot through a terminal.
    Will try this .....

( I have had slow starts and logouts .....
    I removed ubuntuone though and cured most of it - especially the long logout times )

As I think about something you're writing, 'unity --replace' is that even possible?
    As I think gnome-shell uses gnome 3.0 packages and unity 2.3.
    I can switch between both as long as I drop Gnome-shell back to using Gnome 2.3

I have set the Themes up and as on here - I know the processes are working .... even with the BSOD
    there ..... if you manage to see it as many times as I have over the past week you start asking
    why is it so uninformative .... why is there no link from it ..... what is it telling us ..... ?

( thing is Gnome Shell seems to time out in 11.10 ..... count to 30 and we get the BSOD )
    I can switch between them in 11.10 too .... thing is I have not got the shell working correctly
    in there yet ..... and that stupid BSOD drives me mad as it tells me nothing .......

If you click to go on my homepage here ..... I sort of keep a record of where I am now and
    what I am doing ..... like as quick notepad diary for me ......

But it comes in handy as other people often encounter similar problems or need similar solutions .... so it jogs my memory .......

But I have been quite happily swapping between the two ..... as long as I do not hit the update/upgrade button ......

If I do I can guarantee that Blue smiling face ...... and I want to know how to find it.
    it may get a make over ..... as I do not like sad ......

(I still use Cairo-Dock though as on my stupid Orion TV the top half inch is not visible.)

Gnome Shell to me is brilliant ..... and with all the extensions it has become a really good full system
    works very well on my desktop machine.

I know I've heard a lot of complaints about the new compiz being problematic. But I don't think Unity will run with the old version.
    As you say the newer one seems to be more of a problem now ....

Maybe I will try to drop compiz back to the older one ... for the Oneiric version I am trying out.

Some things I did with earlier versions of this ......

I made a couple of videos before to show that this will work ok .....
    as there was a lot of miss information being spread on the Forum ... as far as I could tell
    Because knowing both were working fine on my system and monitoring temperatures and processes
    I could see what was happening ..... and the way it worked best was actually from UNITY into GNOME-SHELL
    and back again ..... surprised me too .....
    ( The other way from Gnome Shell into UNITY and lots more memory usage and CPU usage was encountered .....
    as UNITY seems to use around double that of Gnome Shell )

This one is ages old and on dual monitor too ... LINK VIDEO

and now it is true to some extent as the BSOD makes it so ....... it would be nice to know what triggers it though.

Here is a new VIDEO .... did this just now ...... includes conky running and the Gtk record my desktop writes to
    disk as I do it ......
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 9th, 2011 at 12:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I got rid of the dead link, the rest seem to be working. I'm assuming you're downloading v2, in which case it contains everything to make it look & act like the screenshot, minus the wallpaper in a matter of a few minutes, there are a couple glitches but the installation notes included should cover the procedure. As far as Unity, it has everything that a regular 11.04 installation comes with. I'm assuming that's what you mean when you ask about ayatana scrollbars & Amdiance/Radiance themes?

If you'd like to submit a better version of post #1 I'll be gad to put it up there. My organizational skills when I write leave something to be desired sometimes.
    I'll do it tomorrow I think, for now I also get that "oh no! Something has gone wrong" face. But I get it because of the extensions. Every time I try to move the backup of the extensions back to the original place, I get that face.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    I'll do it tomorrow I think, for now I also get that "oh no! Something has gone wrong" face. But I get it because of the extensions. Every time I try to move the backup of the extensions back to the original place, I get that face.
    Instead of locating them back to the global location, try ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions & activate them one at a time until the culprit is discovered. I'm not really certain why the shell won't boot the first time with extensions activated. It must be something to do with initializing the shell for the first time.

I tried tidying up that first post a little more after your suggestion but if you have a clearer concept I'd be happy to adopt it.

Great having your participation, I hope you enjoy exploring Gnome 3.0 on ubuntu with the rest of us.

Beans
    Hidden!

Instead of locating them back to the global location, try ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions & activate them one at a time until the culprit is discovered. I'm not really certain why the shell won't boot the first time with extensions activated. It must be something to do with initializing the shell for the first time.

I tried tidying up that first post a little more after your suggestion but if you have a clearer concept I'd be happy to adopt it.

Great having your participation, I hope you enjoy exploring Gnome 3.0 on ubuntu with the rest of us.
    My problem seems to be the extension Applications_Menu@rmy.pobox.com

when testing the different extensions, I also got bugged by the "random" message. For me, it happened each time just after the second restart.

The first post is a lot better, certainly the difference you made between v1 and v2 is good. Thanks

Btw, I have already explored Gnome3 with OpenSuse, I really like Gnome3, but I missed the Ubuntu package management. This is an ideal solution for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    My problem seems to be the extension Applications_Menu@rmy.pobox.com

when testing the different extensions, I also got bugged by the "random" message. For me, it happened each time just after the second restart.
    That seems to be a persistent "bug", after using alt+f2 & r a few times it crashes & forces a logout. Is that what you're referring to?

The first post is a lot better, certainly the difference you made between v1 and v2 is good. Thanks
    Sometimes I just need a shove to get the basics taken care of. Glad it's somewhat improved.

Btw, I have already explored Gnome3 with OpenSuse, I really like Gnome3, but I missed the Ubuntu package management. This is an ideal solution for me.
    That was my experience as well, I dabble a lot but always migrate back to Ubuntu, even with LMDE, my Debian was slowly turning into Ubuntu. Decided to quit fighting it & go with the flow. Learning how to effectively use a new DE is enough without throwing in a whole new distro on top of it. This way I can focus on Gnome 3.0 shell, not yum, or pacman, etc...

Overall I am quite pleased with the way gnome shell runs on ubuntu, especially considering the current state of development.

You're probably already familiar with fpmurphy's extensions but if the applications menu continues to cause problems you might want to check out his all-in-one solution called eureka. It may cause some display problems but you can work around them by disabling the theme@selector & possibly user-themes extensions.
    http://blog.fpmurphy.com/
    Last edited by cbowman57; June 8th, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added link to fpmurphy blog

Beans
    Hidden!

That seems to be a persistent "bug", after using alt+f2 & r a few times it crashes & forces a logout. Is that what you're referring to?
    Yep, it's this I'm referring to.

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post

4657256725681715f9c96c19696ef07a

is what I see on mine ...... using K3b
    Ok, so my iso is not corrupted. Maybe I don't understand the instructions correctly. Here's what I'm doing:

install .iso onto a USB using 'startup disk creator'
    Boot USB.

It then hangs at the 'blue stripped' login screen, but I only get the screen, no login info, text entry box, etc. Only a blue screen.

Page 100 of 177 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast